Chapter Seven

"Hunter is a dangerous man. In fact the first time I met him he nearly took my throat out. He's wild and a lot of time unpredictable. It's dangerous for him to see blood." Sam says. 

Law quirks a brow, "Were you in a battle?"

Sam nods, "Yes, at the sight of blood it's like he goes crazy. I don't know why but it's almost like how I get in the middle of intense battles. I guess you could call it a split personality of sorts. He reverts back to a primal state, fight-or-flight responses. He chooses to fight."

"Oh?" I sit up a little bit from the chair, "Tell me, he says he worked with the marines for my father, is that true?"

"Yes, he was essentially a bounty-hunter for your father, extremely loyal to him as well. He showed up out of the blue one day demanding to speak with Akainu, Sengoku, and surprisingly enough Mihawk. I'm not sure what he had to do with Sengoku or Mihawk but in the end he ended up on a crew with your father. Not surprising really." She flexes her fingers, popping the joints. The more I hear about this the more worried I am about exactly which side Vein is on. It's entirely possible that he is trying to decieve us.

"Why isn't it surprising?"

Sam's brows furrow in surprise. I don't know why she's looking at me like that, it's not that strange of a question. "Hunter was a vagabond and a thief before Akainu took him in; first as a prisoner and then later worked with him on his skills. Akainu cultivated his abilities, made his criminal charges disappear, it was a complete turn around. He became very close to Akainu and loyal to him as well and because of this he was able to become a skilled bounty hunter. Akainu gave him the death sentence and he carried it out."

I shiver at her words. I never knew that he was so close with my father. Was it possible then that he'd been around when I was growing up? No, that's not possible because if he was so close to my dad then I know I would've seen him around. "Wow... h-how many?"

"Over sixty pirates, easy."

I shiver yet again. The Vein I know seems... dorky. In fact it's like I can't envision what I'm hearing because it is so radically different from the man I know. Except for the crazed actions when he sees blood, that's definitely something I've seen before. Either way though he's snapped out of it really quickly.

"How... how do you know all of this?"

Sam and Sephi's faces darken, "Over our years as pirates both Sephi and I have had many run-ins with Hunter. He's killed several of my crew and taken in their heads for a bounty. In my book he's nothing more than scum." She sits back and sighs, "Either way though, run into anyone enough over the years and eventually you'll learn about them. Besides, I have my ways of getting the information I want."

That last sentence erupts my skin in goosebumps, Sam can be really scary when she wants to be. 

"Anyways, I've told you a lot of information so do me a favor and tell me straight; what are you doing with him in your crew?"

"He has important information on what my father plans to do next. We thought he was over trying to get me back after... Marineford..." I trail off, flinching at the looks I recieved. 

"How can you be sure he's not going to double cross you two? He may seem like an idiot but I wouldn't be surprised if even you're fooled Law. Hunter is an A-class actor capable of probably tricking a woman into giving him her first-born. Keep him in your sights at all times, that's my advice to you."

"I see."

A tense silence falls over the room but only for a moment. The door bursts open and Kai rushes into his mother's arms. He tosses his own arms around her neck and hugs her tight, whimpering. The hard look on Sam's face softens as she holds her son close, "What's wrong now little one?"

"Gwanny Merce mean!"

"Young Kai that is no way to behave! You shouldn't be lying to your mother like that!" Mercedez, the famous cook of the Whitebeard Pirates, exclaims. 

Sam settles Kai down on her hip, "What's going on Mercedez? What did he do now?"

"He decided to just go and annoy the Heart Pirate Crew for a few minutes, without finishing his lunch, might I add."

Ace sigh and places his hand down on top of Kai's flaming head, "Son don't go running off without eating first! Lunch is important!"

"Ace!" "Commander!"

I can't help but laugh at Sam and Mercedez's reaction to Ace only minding his son not finishing his food. It was clear who was the disciplinary one around here. "-Furthermore if you want to be strong like papa you have to finish all of your food and then fight."

Sam punches him in the gut, "That's enough of that!" She yells. "Now Kai, I want you to listen to mama carefully, can you do that?" He nods at her, "Good. Those people over on the submarine, as nice as they are, can really hurt you. You're not strong like papa or as fast as mama yet so you could get hurt. The reason Mercedez is yelling and freaking out is because she's worried about your safety."

"But mama-."

"No Kai, what you did was wrong. You don't run off without telling anyone. Next time you want to go kick some ass just tell us first and then go ahead and tear them to shreds-."

"Commander Samantha!" Mercedez wails again. 

This is just too good. I seriously have to wonder what a normal day upon this ship is with this family. Sam and Ace were a pair together but now with this little devil it looks like their crew has their hands full. I can't help but wonder if this is what I can expect when our kid comes along.

If so then I'm going to be out of my mind. Even now I can't imagine what Law is going to teach our child when they're older.

"But not before you're grown! Do you understand mama?"

"Yeah!"

"That's my son! Now let's go finish your food!" Ace takes Kai from Sam's arms and the two go strolling out. Marco shakes his head at the two but walks out none-the-less, Mercedez trailing behind him. Sam shakes her head as her boys leave the room, a fond smile on her face. 

I watch all of this with a strange look on my face, is this what my family will be like? Even now I can't help but wonder if our child will be a boy or a girl. Personally I think I want a boy. I rub my stomach. Law must've noticed the action because his hold around my shoulders tightens a bit, it's almost like a side hug. 

With all of the excitement cooling off we turn our attention back to Sam, who has a content look on her face. Sephi, however, looks the complete opposite. Ever since we mentioned Vein he'd been on edge, looking like he wanted to slice something up the next chance he got. It makes me wonder what happened between the two.

I don't really know, it's all too confusing to really think about in depth. 

"I have one question Miss Sam." Law speaks up. 

She quirks a brow, "Oh? Do tell."

"On Vein's biosheet his origins, while from Dressrosa, also had some discrepancies; his parents as well. You seem to know more about him than I do, so tell me more about his own background before he came to the Marines."

"I figured you'd ask again sooner or later. Well, sit back and get comfy, this one's gonna knock you on your asses." 

Sephi steps forward and I'm worried about what he's going to tell us.

***********************************************************************************************************************

PLEASE READ:

Sorry guys I know this is late and all but I have some personal problems that I'm dealing with. My health is taking a bit of a wrong turn and I'm having a lot of doctor's appointments scheduled and that along with school is taking a lot of time away from being able to get chapters out. I hope you all can understand and I promise that I'll continue to try and get everything out.