Chapter Twenty-Five

Rayne

Slowly, ever so slowly, I crept forward. 

The target was just ahead. Pulling a small knife from in my sleeve I held it in a firm grip. Shuffling into the room I kept low to the floor, careful to keep down wind. If I don't keep silent then it's all over and I'll most likely be killed. 

Raising up I survey the rest of the area. It was just me and him. Inch by painstaking inch forward I was finally in the right place to lunge. Adjusting the grip once more it was on. My swing was on point but I still caught nothing but air. 

Strong hands latched onto the back of my shirt and whipped me around as the world disappeared into a blur. I hit the ground and rolled back onto my feet, dazed. In front of me, Killer was leaning against the kitchen counter, a mug of coffee with a straw in hand the picture of at ease. The straw was stuck into his mask moving occasionally, the only indication that he was actually drinking from the mug. 

"Uh..."

Killer spat the straw out, "Did you think that was honestly going to work?"

Why is it that I can never seem to get one up on Killer? It's like blondie has a sixth sense for when I'm sneaking up to attack him. Either that or I'm not as quiet as I always prided myself on being. Yeah, there was no way that I was going to get one up on him now, though something told me that it's debatable if I ever did. 

"Points for trying?"

Killer put his drink down, "No."

"Ah Killer, you're so mean." 

He only tilted his head at me, such a typical Killer response. "Fine, be like that." I slid the knife back into its place on my belt since it was obvious that I wasn't going to be using it. In the past perhaps I would've sent a slice or two at his head but by now I've learned, that's the quickest way to him breaking my wrist. 

"You're putting too much weight on the balls of your feet. Use your heel and roll forward with the momentum, it will make you quieter."

I looked up at him confused, "What the hell do you mean by that?"

In two seconds he had crossed the room coming to stand before me without so much as a single sound. It was a bit unnerving to tell the truth. I didn't realize that he was that silent. Killer was so close that I could smell the cologne he wore. It was strangely reminiscent of something that Law wore a long time ago. 

It was the scent he had the night he stole me away to join his crew. 

"Rayne?"

I cleared the lump from my throat and stepped back needing the distance between us to increase. I need to clear my head, Law isn't here, he hasn't been for a long time. Killer stepped forward to settle a heavy hand on my shoulder, "What's the matter?"

I shook my head to clear the thoughts away and stepped back. Killer dropped his hand, his posture suggesting that he felt confused about what just happened. "Don't worry about it, what's next?"

"Lunch." Kid said arriving into the room long enough to grab a bottle of jack before disappearing, most likely to his workshop. 

Kid had been working on something down there ever since he stopped training me. Most days we were bringing food down there since he was apparently too busy working on whatever it was to break away for meals. Whatever it was I could hear drilling at night and clangs from where he was hammering something together. 

"Oh sure." Happy to have an excuse to get out of there and have some time alone to myself. Thankfully I hadn't thought all that much of Law since I arrived here on Kid's ship but there were times where something would trigger a memory with him. 

Of Warlords and Children (Trafalgar Law Book 2)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें