the roommate | klaine

THE ROOMMATE
kurt and blaine

In which Kurt is an elementary school teacher who needs a roommate to pay for rent and he meets Blaine, a college age writer looking for a place to stay

Or the one where they're perfect for each other but everything else always gets in the way.

WARNINGS: angst, mild smut, slight kurtbastian, side blainofsky
______________________________________

BLAINE SIGHED WHEN HE FINALLY got his stupid black coffee from room service. It was bitter and somewhat on the cold side, reminiscent of his personality in the two weeks he'd been living in New York. He sort of moved there on a whim. He'd been severely unprepared for most of his senior year, so he never applied to any four year schools or bothered to look for apartments or job listings. His parents pretty much just sent him on his way and he found out that he had no plans for the rest of his life, so he figured New York would be the place to start. He was lucky that the community college had still been accepting applications, so he'd be heading there in a few months, but he'd currently been couped up in this hotel room for two weeks and it was seriously grating on his nerves. It was dirt cheap which was ideal considering the fact that the only money he had was from his graduation.

He sat down the coffee on the nightstand, deciding that he would pour it down the sink later. Opening his phone, he once again began googling for cheap apartments to live in. He really should have thought all this through before packing up all his bags in Ohio to come live in the Great Apple. He could have picked somewhere a lot more financially agreeable like Kentucky or Indiana, hell even Massachusetts. But no--he chose New York City.

As his thoughts ran amuck about how hard life was screwing him right now, his thumb froze on the screen, seeing a listing in Bushwick. Two bedroom, two bathroom. Overlooking Manhattan, kind of. Close to the city and a lot of the college campuses. It was only five minutes from the community college, Blaine made sure. He pulled up Google Maps just to check. The only cons he could see to the whole place were that Bushwick was notoriously a crime-ridden area and that the apartment came with a roommate, but he could overlook that as long as the renter wasn't a total dickwad.

A phone number was listed at the bottom of the ad, so he copied and pasted it into his contacts, sending out a small text.

Hello, Mr. Hummel 😄 I'm Blaine. I saw your ad and was interested in renting your apartment?

Blaine quickly shut his phone off. He expected he wouldn't get a response (if any) for awhile, so he turned on the television, flipping through the channels to find something that wouldn't give him clinical depression. His phone dinged and he looked down, finally settling on some stupid Hallmark Christmas movie (and really why was Hallmark showing Christmas movies in June?) as he picked his phone back up and saw the text from the owner.

Hi, Blaine! Call me Kurt. I'd love to meet up at your earliest convenience and show you the apartment if you're still interested.

Blaine sent back a quick reply.

I'm free today if that's okay?

Once again, Kurt's response was timely.

Yes! Is an hour from now good for you?

Totally! See you then😄

Kurt didn't say anything further, so Blaine laid his phone back on the bed, chilling in the firmness of the mattress as he watched some female CEO argue with her assistant about traveling back to her small town in Montana for the holidays. His thoughts focused less on the Christmas movie and moved further into excitement at the prospect of him possibly getting an apartment tonight. He was so sick of this hotel room. He was desperately wanted to get out of this shithole.