skinny love | hudevans

SKINNY LOVE
finn & sam

SKINNY LOVEfinn & sam

***

WHEN KURT HUMMEL HAD A horrible crush on Finn Hudson, the latter had thought it disgusting. He was terrified of the idea of another boy liking him romantically. So much so that Finn had used the term faggy in front of Kurt's father. Needless to say, it didn't go over well. Things had changed, however. Kurt and Finn were stepbrothers now and the feelings Kurt had for his brother seemed to have decipated. Still, each time Sam Evans walked the halls and heard that story, it frightened him.

Sam was sure he wasn't the only gay guy on the football team, but he was the only out one and that made a hell of a difference in the locker room. His teammates would ignore his gaze and change in the showers or the stalls just so Sam wouldn't see their privates. They didn't let him in on any of the conversations and more often than not, wouldn't tell him if a play changed just so he could make a fool of himself at practice. Sometimes Sam hated being gay. When you were not the stereotypical out man everyone treated you like you didn't exist. He supposed it was better than the constant name calling and slushie throwing. But getting the cold shoulder simply for his preference in companionship just pissed him off.

Finn was the only one that didn't treat him like a disease. It had surprised him. With the amount of times he'd heard that story about him and Kurt, he didn't expect Finn to be any different than the rest of the jerks on the team. But maybe time had healed his closed off mind and experiencing what Kurt went through made him learn how to be a decent human being.

Sam never planned on having one of those predatorial gay crushes on Finn. It wasn't so bad. He was far more subtle than Kurt had been. He never asked Finn out or told him to swear off all women, but he did touch him often in a less friendly way. He was trying to get a hold of himself because it was embarrassing and if anyone found out he was flirting with Finn, he'd become even more of a joke to the team and maybe this time they wouldn't stop from beating him up.

He wasn't in love with Finn or anything. He was sure it was just one of those crushes that every high school girl gets. The one where a guy is the slightest bit nice to you and you suddenly think he's the one because no man has ever treated you with respect and you can fall for the bare minimum. The same thing went for gays. Sam was so used to being a joke to everyone that a guy actually respecting him and liking to be around him had gotten him overthinking everything.

Sam found himself staring at Finn and Quinn making out from his locker. They'd only recently gotten back together. Rachel had cheated on him, so he decided to go back to square one with Quinn. It didn't take a rocket scientist to notice that Finn definitely wasn't over Rachel yet and was purely using Quinn as a distraction.

Sam sighed, slowly looking away from the disgustingly cute couple and closed his locker in defeat. Just as the door shut, he jumped in surprise, seeing Kurt standing in front of him with a quirked brow.

"Oh, how the mighty have fallen." Kurt muttered, shaking his head.

Sam looked away from his gaze, not daring to make direct eye contact. "W-what are you talking about?"

Kurt chuckled softly. "You're not subtle, Samuel. You're very obviously in love with one Finn Hudson."

Sam spluttered, shaking his head in denial. "I'm not in love with him, Kurt. You've been watching too many rom-coms."

"Oh, but you are, bud." Kurt threw his arm over Sam's shoulder as they began walking down the hallway.

"It took me finding Blaine to realize it, but pining after straight men really isn't the move." Kurt admitted as they rounded the corner to the choir room.

When they got to the choir room and it was completely empty, Sam let out a heavy sigh. "Look, maybe I have a bit of a crush, but I'm definitely not in love with him."

"That's what I said too." Kurt mumbled mostly to himself, but it was audible enough for Sam to hear him.

Sam playfully glared at him. "Yeah, and then he became your brother."

"What about me?" Finn's voice floated into the choir room, making Sam nearly jump out of his skin.

He stumbled over his words. "Nothing! I-I just--"

Kurt rolled his eyes, answering for him. "Oh, we were just talking about that song you did for me at the wedding. Sam thought it was really cool of you."

Finn nodded, smiling at the blonde. "Thanks, man. I mean, I love Kurt. He's my bro, you know."

Sam cleared his throat awkwardly. "Right. Of course."

Kurt pulled his naked wrist up, pretending to look at a watch that was definitely not there. "Would you look at the time? I have to... shave my beard."

Finn mumbled in confusion as Kurt hurried out of the choir room. He missed the way Sam was sending desperate eyes to his stepbrother to not leave them alone.

"He doesn't even have facial hair."

Sam laughed nervously. "Yeah, interesting."

Finn shrugged his shoulders, sitting down next to Sam as he attempted to make conversation with him. "So, meet any cute boys lately?"

Sam nearly choked on his own saliva, his eyes bugging out as he took Finn's words into consideration. "What, um, what do you mean?"

"You're gay, aren't you?" Finn asked with a furrowed brow. In the five minutes he spent in this room, he'd become more confused than he had the whole school year and Spanish class meant absolutely nothing to him.

Sam's opened his mouth silently, being more awkward than he had been in his entire life just in the presence of Finn Hudson. "Right. Um, yeah I am."

Finn chuckled, patting his hand on Sam's shoulder which seemed to shoot sparks through the younger boy.

"You don't have to be awkward around me, Sam. I'm totally okay with your sexuality." he gave a comforting smile in an attempt to settle Sam, but instead it flushed his cheeks, making him red.

"Thanks, um, for being so cool about it. Most guys aren't." Sam mumbled, barely making eye contact with the other boy.

"Well, I'm not most guys, am I?" Finn laughed, softly patting Sam's shoulder. The touch sent fireworks shooting down his spine.

You certainly aren't most guys.

Finn broke the silence, pulling his hand away from its grasp on Sam's arm and conceded into goodbyes. "Listen, I got to get to gym, but it was nice talking to you."

"Y-you too!" Sam exclaimed with a stutter, emitting far too much enthusiasm as he sank back into his seat.

Finn's back was to him until he turned around with a smile, mumbling, "There's just something about you, Evans."

Forget when he touched Sam's shoulder. Those words were like kryptonite and he never wanted to hear any other sentence again. He made an impression of Finn. Maybe it wasn't hopeless after all.
______________________________________

[A/N: so its a little messy, but this was lowkey cute and i live for bisexual Sam (which was 100% canon, you can't convince me otherwise). anyway, i have a lot more requests coming up and some original ideas! 😭💗💗💗]

~ Dani