skyscraper | kurtofsky

SKYSCRAPER
kurt & dave

[DISCLAIMER: i love dave karofsky with my whole heart. he had better character development than most of the main characters. i also think had the show explored it and blaine not exist, kurt and dave had potential to be a couple. however, i understand that this is not for everyone, so if you don't think you'll like this, don't read it.]

TW- mentions of bullying and suicide

***

KURT HUMMEL HAD NEVER BEEN given the opportunity to shine in Lima, Ohio. In fact, most of his existence was spent having to hide his shine. Most of the midwest didn't take too kindly to people like Kurt--someone who was unapologetically himself and made no apologies for it. He was comfortable in his skin when most people weren't. He spent most of his high school experience being targeted by the football jocks. There was one person in particular who had made his life a living hell. Someone who had pushed him into lockers and threatened his life more times than he could count and still, Kurt felt sorry for him. Sorry that someone could have such a cold heart that seeing someone love how they want to love could be threatening to them.

Dave Karofsky was many things back then, but he wasn't a bad person. He made so many mistakes when it came to Kurt. Kurt was this out and proud gay man who took no prisoners. He had no qualms with any homophobia thrown his way. He had learned to hold his head high and turn the other cheek and Dave just hadn't been able to accept that for himself. Dave was so in the closest he could find his Christmas presents. He was so in denial about who he was that he thought breaking Kurt would shut off the gay in him, but it only managed to make it stronger, for him to start falling for Kurt. Not because he liked Kurt or wanted to be with him, but because Kurt knew who he was and managed to be proud of it, but Dave couldn't do that for himself. He envied the way Kurt could be so happy and he couldn't, so he took it out on him and broke him. And Dave lived with that regret every day of his life.

Until the culmination of all the mean words and hurtful actions ended with a kiss that neither party liked to remember. A kiss Dave gave Kurt only because he wanted to know what it was like to kiss another guy and not be ashamed of it. Because he had spent his whole life knowing that he could never be like Kurt. That he could never be happy. That he could never be himself. It was a kiss of desperation. All he wanted was to be heard and so he threw himself onto Kurt, pulling his face into his hands and whimpered as his lips met a pair of softer ones that wanted nothing to do with him. And that was when he knew--he was gay and there was nothing to be done about it but to admit it to himself and stop all the harrassment and help Kurt for once.

Their relationship after that moment was hit and miss. For a long time, Dave tried to act like it never happened and that Kurt was just making things up. When Dave apologized, Kurt didn't exactly believe him, but he was willing to give him a shot to prove himself. Dave spent many a night crying over what had gone down between the two and apologized to Kurt endlessly. He felt so guilty. So disgusting. He didn't think he deserved to be happy, deserved to have anyone love him after the way he treated Kurt.