if my wishes came true (the 1) | klaine

TW: talks about Finn's death

In which Kurt and Blaine never got back together after Blaine cheated and Kurt moved on with Adam. But freshly divorced, Kurt meets his son's music teacher and of course it just had to be Blaine.

***

The first time Kurt’s heart broke it felt like the world was broken from its tilted axis and he was floating freely in space. It was hard for him to put words to the way it felt like a pickaxe was pushed straight through his heart chamber. He felt like the world was ending and he’d never recover, but then he met a cute strawberry blond with a sultry accent who swept him off his feet as if Blaine never existed. It wasn’t easy and Adam had to break through layers of protective armor to really get to Kurt’s heart, but once he was there, there was no going back. Once Kurt let himself fall in love again, it was like he’d never been hurt before. He trusted Adam and he fell in love with him and once he did that, it was easy again.

There were things about Adam that reminded him of Blaine sometimes–like how they both practically lived on a stage. They were the stars of the show and everyone else kind of faded into the background sometimes, including Kurt. The best part about Adam, though, was that he always noticed when he was taking up too much space and would go out of his way to make Kurt feel seen. He was gentle with Kurt and he didn’t fight with him the way Blaine did. They’d had barely two spats their whole relationship and it was such a different pace to what Kurt was used to. He was used to biting sentences thrown around in the heat of the moment and throwing accusations and serenading as an apology and the make-up sex. But he didn’t need to do that with Adam. Adam didn’t want to fight him. He just wanted to make Kurt happy–and maybe Blaine had always wanted that too, but they were just a bit too much like each other back then and they didn’t know how to coexist in the same space.

The first time he and Adam were intimate, Kurt thought of Blaine. Not in the way of him necessarily missing sex with Blaine, but moreso in wondering how long it might take Adam to learn the parts of his body that Blaine had such an intimate relationship with that he never had to tell him what he wanted. He also wondered who else Blaine might be sleeping with. He wished the best for him–he really did. It’s just… Blaine sleeping with other people is what got them into this situation in the first place. He wondered what other men knew how Blaine liked kisses peppered up his inner thighs and that spot right under his jaw always made him let loose little whimpers he tried to keep in. It’s hard for him to find the disconnect between the body he used to worship so wholly and the new one he’s still learning about. When he and Blaine made love for the first time, he was so certain Blaine was the only man he’d ever be intimate with, but that was obviously ruined now. 

Adam proposed at Kurt’s graduation dinner in front of all their parents and a bunch of patrons at the Spotlight Diner. It took Kurt a little bit by surprise, but really it shouldn’t have, considering by that point they’d been together for nearly four years. They moved in together a year earlier. Their lives essentially revolved around one another, so when Adam asked him to be his husband, it was an easy yes. He felt complete when he looked down at that ring on his finger, but just like every moment before, he was reminded of Blaine again. They were supposed to get married (once it was legal) and they would sing Come What May at the reception. They would live in New York together and adopt a bunch of little kids and maybe a cat or two because Kurt simply refused to clean up after a dog. Their future was pretty much planned out from their one month anniversary, but that wasn’t in the cards anymore. Now he was marrying Adam and he had to make new plans.

He didn’t invite Blaine to the wedding. He hadn’t even spoken to the younger man since their breakup. He knew little things that Rachel mentioned in passing–like Blaine had decided to go to Ohio State and he was studying music education. Kurt was strangely proud of him. It was such a selfless profession and in all the conversations they’d had about the future, teaching had never been a topic. Kurt sometimes worried that maybe he had steered Blaine away from performing. He didn’t want Blaine to uproot all his plans to make Kurt comfortable, but he also wasn’t going to go out of his way to contact Blaine and tell him that. He supposed they both had moved on the best they could. Rachel never mentioned a boyfriend, but Kurt also wasn’t sure he’d be able to handle that information. No matter how in love with Adam he was, it would always hurt to hear that his first love–the man who absolutely shattered his trust–had finally moved on.