five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes | klaine

525,600 MINUTES
kurt and blaine

***

KURT WAS SHITTING HIMSELF WITH NERVES WHILE HE LOOKED DOWN AT HIS FIANCE. Blaine looked calm, laying down against Kurt's chest as they watched Rent play on the television. Even though Kurt should have probably been paying attention to the movie seeing as how he started rehearsals as Mark next week, his mind drifted off to the man leaning against him. A smile appeared on his face watching his fiancé stuff his face full of popcorn one second and then sing along the next.

Kurt tapped Blaine's shoulder, asking him to move so he could get up. "Hey, I need to use the bathroom."

Blaine sat up immediately. "Sorry, babe." Kurt smiled and gave him a kiss on the cheek before he made his way to their bedroom.

Kurt sighed, walking over to the nightstand and unlocking the drawer. It was the same drawer where he kept all of his top-secret Vogue designs. Blaine always made fun of him for locking the drawer, but never tried to break into it, so at least his surprise wouldn't be ruined. Ever since the moment Blaine proposed, Kurt had been feeling odd. It's not that he was unhappy. He was more than excited to spend the rest of his life with Blaine, but Blaine didn't have a ring and somehow it felt like they weren't equals in that sense. Just because they were already engaged didn't mean that Kurt couldn't still propose. In fact, he thought it meant more this way. Proposing back to Blaine meant that he was serious about this.

He pulled the box out of the drawer and fiddled with it in his hands. Kurt had always been a much less dramatic performer than Blaine. In that way, Blaine and Rachel were almost the same. They liked to make a spectacle out of everything they did, so when Blaine proposed just three days after getting back together with four different rival show choirs serenading him in a cover of the Beatles, he knew how it was going to end. He knew from the moment he watched the Gap attack that Blaine would put his everything into his future proposal and even though it wasn't necessarily something he would choose to do, it was definitely a story for their kids one day. Kurt didn't have any big plans. He wasn't going to drive them up to Dalton or invite a bunch of strangers to watch him profess his love for Blaine. He was just going to sing for Blaine in their living room and say what he felt.

The television was loud enough that he knew what scene was coming up, so he quickly stuffed the ring in his pocket and strolled back into the living room, grabbing the remote and pausing the movie. Blaine was mid-popcorn stuff as he whined. "Kurt, that's my favorite song!"

Kurt chuckled and cleared his throat. "Live in my house, I'll be your shelter. Just pay me back with one thousand kisses. Be my lover and I'll cover you. Open your door, I'll be your tenant. Don't got much baggage to lay at your feet. But sweet kisses I've got to spare. I'll be there and I'll cover you."

Blaine looked up at him with an amused grin as he swallowed the remainder of popcorn and opened his mouth to join Kurt in a kick-ass harmony. Kurt smiled as he got down on his knees and grabbed Blaine's hand. "I think they meant it when they said you can't buy love. Now I know you can rent it. A new lease, you are my love--on life. Be my life."

Blaine was just about to start the next verse when Kurt gave him a pointed look that told him to stop. Kurt was still on both knees, building up to switching to two as he began his speech. "So, I know you're wondering what I'm doing on the floor serenading you, but I sort of realized something."

"What's that, babe?" Blaine pondered curiously.

"I have an engagement ring and you don't." he paused, searching through the confusion in Blaine's stare because as smart as his fiancé was, common sense was always his enemy. He finally picked up one knee and grabbed the box out of his pocket. "Now I know there's no marching band or Warblers doo-wopping in the background, but when I look at you, I don't need all those things to know that you are the love of my life and I am just so excited to marry you. And I think it's kinda unfair that I get a ring and you don't, so..."

Kurt popped open the lid of the box and he watched Blaine's expression finally change into recognition of what was about to happen. He could see tears welling in his fiancé's eyes as he squeezed harder on Kurt's hand. "I know this is a little redundant and I'm pretty sure I know the answer I'm going to get, but B--will you do me the great honor of becoming my husband?"

Blaine let the first tear fall as he let go of Kurt's hand, lifting his own to cup his fiancé's cheek and bring him into a soft yet firm kiss. The last time they had kissed this way was when he proposed. Blaine didn't pull back from the kiss for a long time and when he finally did, he just rested his forehead against Kurt's. But Kurt's body had to disagree.

He groaned. "Babe, as much as I love kissing you, my knee is starting to hurt."

Blaine laughed tearily, nodding curtly. "Yes, I'll marry you, weirdo."

"Good because no was kind of not an option." Kurt slid the ring on Blaine's finger and pressed a chaste kiss to his lips once more as he got off his knees and fell back on the couch.

Blaine laid his head on Kurt's shoulder as they rested on the couch. It was completely silent in the loft as they just held onto each other for comfort. Kurt watched Blaine play with the ring on his finger and it seemed to bring the brightest smile to his face. For some reason it just felt more real now that Blaine had a ring on his finger too.

"You know, I think we should plan our wedding for this day next year." Blaine prompted and Kurt couldn't help the grin on his face.

"So in other words, you want to marry me exactly five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes from now." Kurt broke out into song, realizing the perfect opportunity for a joke. Usually this would be something Blaine would do, but over the years, Kurt had begun to change for the better--in a way where he could be silly and it was a sight that Blaine adored.

"I can't believe I'm marrying a dork." Blaine mumbled under his breath, but he wasn't quite quiet enough.

Kurt scoffed. "Says Nightbird the nocturnal avenger."