Chapter 6:

I look around the room, seeing a man in a delivery vest trying to lift the gates, but they wouldn't go up. I see an older looking boy in an army uniform. I decided to go up to him, seeing if he would know what was happening.

"Excuse me, but why are the gates down?" I asked, seeing other people looking around in confusion as well.

"Ah, I'm not too sure." He tells me, as he then goes to try to help the delivery guy open the gate.

Even with both of them, the gate still would not budge.

I put my box on the ground, wanting to rest my arms while I figured out what was going on. I look up in time to see the boy from the stairs finally coming into the main hallway. He looks around in confusion, as he takes in the situation.

"My daughter hasn't come home yet? Who lowered the shutters?" Asks an older woman.

I look at the boy from the stairs, he seems to notice me as well, walking up to me. I can't help but to blush as he stands before me.

"What's going on? Can we leave?" He asks, looking past me to the metal gates that blocked the doors.

"I-I'm not sure. The delivery guy and soldier both tried to open it. It wouldn't budge." I tell him.

Before either of us can speak again, a woman walks up to us.

"Excuse me, but do either of you have cell service?" She asks us.

The boy pulls out his phone first, bringing it to his ear before speaking.

"I guess I don't." He says.

"Um. Let me check my phone." I say, reaching into my bag and pulling out my own phone.

I decided to call my parents, figuring that I should let them know my situation anyway. However, instead of the phone ringing, I'm met with a loud, high-pitched scratch noise.

I wince, pulling the phone away from my ear.

"It's not working." I tell the woman, looking down at my phone in confusion.