Chapter 22:

Only when I feel someone nudge my side do I regain my focus.

I try to hold back the cry of pain, as the person had nudged my wound. I look up, seeing that it was Eun-yoo. Thankfully, she had already looked away from me and was now yelling at Eun-hyuk for something, so she didn't notice my look of discomfort from my injury.

"Not that I care or anything, but unless you want your girlfriend to go crazy with all these people, I'd take her somewhere quiet. She looks traumatized." Eun-yoo tells her brothers. I'm just about to argue that Eun-Hyuk and I weren't dating, but when he sees me about to speak, he just nods his head to his sister and grabs my hand. I allow him to pull me out of the room, as I didn't have the strength or will to fight against him.

We end up in the security office where Eun-hyuk pulls out the desk chair, gently pushing me to sit in the seat. I just stare at my hands in my lap as I think to myself. My mind goes to my grandfather, and I can't help but think about how my grandfather would act during the current situation. Would he be scared? Scared of the monsters? Or scared of how the horrible situation is bringing bad traits from the building's residents. I'd like to think that my grandfather would tell me to be brave. To keep strong and fight to survive. But with him gone, I just don't dare to do so.

I then think about the people that I've met in the past few days. Everyone was just as scared as I was, but they all had each other. They all live together in this building and have relationships with one another. I, however, am a stranger here. I had no one here to relate to. Or did I?

I look up from my hands, looking at Eun-Hyuk. He was flipping through some papers that were sitting on the security desk. I think back to our first interaction. It was just barely two days ago that we had met, but already he had done more than necessary to help me. Me, a girl he didn't know. If anything, I felt like I was inconveniencing him with my presence. He should have been worrying more about his sister than me.

As if sensing my stare, Eun-hyuk turns to look my way. When his eyes meet my own, I can't help the sudden blush that suddenly rushes to my cheeks. I look away quickly, but I knew it was too late.

"What's wrong?" Eun-hyuk asks. He drops the stack of papers that he was investigating and leans against the desk to face me.

"Nothing... I was just thinking about some things." I say, finally looking back at him again. This time when our eyes met, I don't look away. I knew it was wrong to feel the way I currently did. Forming a crush on a guy I just met, during such dangerous times.

"What about?" He asks curiously.

"You." I blurt out suddenly.

"I mean- it's just because I barely know you..." I quickly add on. "And we want to make it believable that we're...dating." I continue to say before stopping. I was too embarrassed to speak about us being together, even though it was all an act.

Eun-hyuk stays quiet, seeming to think over what I had just said. He moves to fully sit on the edge of the desk now, seeing as he had only been leaning on it before. "What do you wanna know?" He asks.

I take a moment to think to myself. Off the top of my head, I couldn't come up with any good questions.

"How long have you and your sister lived in the building?" I ask, waiting patiently for him to respond.

"It's been a while now." He tells me, seeming to think to himself about what to say.

"My grandfather lived here since I was a child. I would always come to visit him but I rarely met any of the other residents. The building appears to have fallen apart through the years." I say, filling the silence.

"The building already looked like this when Eun-yoo and I moved in. It's been a few months now." He tells me before going silent. 

I could tell that it would be hard to learn more about Eun-hyuk. He seemed to be a closed-off like me, not letting new people into his life. However, I was willing to temporarily knock down my protective barriers to get to know him better. If anything, I could also try getting closer to Eun-yoo. That way I could learn more about the siblings to bond more with the male.

I watch as Eun-hyuk reaches up to brush some hair away from his eyes. However, there was a piece of hair remaining in the center of his forehead. I stand up, taking a step forward as I planned to brush the hair out of his eyes. Unfortunately for me, I trip on a loose wire that was laying across the floor between us. 

Eun-hyuk is quick to act, reaching out and catching me in his arms as I fall into him. I hold my breath as I stand frozen. My hands were on his chest and his own hands held my shoulders. Our faces were just inches apart and I think back to when Eun-yoo had seen her brother and me together for the first time. We were now closer than we had been then. Only this time, there wasn't any gross blood covering my face. If I was brave enough, I could kiss him right now. 

'Should I?' I think to myself. I look down at his lips, they seemed soft enough even while looking slightly chapped.

When I look back up, I notice that Eun-hyuk too had been looking at my lips. Was he thinking the same as I was? Would he make a move? Would I?

Deciding on an answer, I slowly lean forward, watching Eun-hyuk's every reaction as I lifted myself onto my toes to reach his lips.