Chapter 23:

'Should I?' I think to myself. I look down at his lips, they seemed soft enough even while looking slightly chapped.

When I look back up, I notice that Eun-hyuk too had been looking at my lips. Was he thinking the same as I was? Would he make a move? Would I?

Deciding on an answer, I slowly lean forward, watching Eun-hyuk's every reaction as I lifted myself onto my toes to reach his lips.

I feel the warmth of his lips against my own, a flame burning hot within my chest at the feeling. He doesn't pull away as I expect him to, instead he gently pulls my body closer to his. However. the warm feeling suddenly disappears just as quickly as it arrived. Now being replaced with the cold reminder of what was going on just outside of this small office. I realized what I had just done. I had kissed Eun-hyuk.

Pulling away quickly, I stare up at him with wide eyes. "I'm so sorry," I say, as I step away from Eun-hyuk.

"Uhm, I should go check on Eun-yoo," Eun-hyuk says as he avoids making eye contact with me. He rushed out of the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

"I'm so stupid" I mumble to myself. I had just made a fool out of myself and even wasted my first kiss on a fake boyfriend. 

Moments later, I hear footsteps coming toward the office. I look at the doorway, seeing that the lady with the dog was there.

"I just saw Eun-hyuk a moment ago. He seemed so flustered." She tells me.

"He said that he was only looking for his sister, but I think something else. Did something happen between you two?" She asks, a glimmer of curiosity in her eyes.

"N-No! Nothing happened... I should go help check on the others." I say as I quickly leave the room.

As I leave the room, I hear a commotion from down the hall. I walk towards the noise, seeing that everyone was gathered in front of the small grocery store. By the time I reach the group, the noise had quieted down, and people started to separate. 

I then noticed an unfamiliar man. He was standing in front of an open suitcase, handing out food items to the other residents. But what caught my attention the most, was the huge gashes on his face. He looked like he had gotten beaten up pretty badly.

My mind then switches over, questioning why this mysterious man was giving out food to people. I look towards the small shop, seeing that the door was shut, the grumpy old owner and his wife were inside, standing by the doorway.

"I heard that he locked everyone out." Says a voice beside me. I turn, seeing the lady and her dog right beside me.

"The bastard is hogging all the food for himself."She continues to say as we look past the new strange man and continue to watch the shop owner through the glass door.

"Do you two want some food?" The mysterious man asks us, making us turn to look at him once more.

Upon further inspection of the man's face, I could now see that one of his eyes was swollen shut. But even from his one eye, I felt a cold shiver run down my spine. Something was telling me that this man wasn't a good person.

He reaches down into the suitcase and only then do I notice the bloodstains on the fabric of the case. He picks out two items of food, offering either of them to us. The small dog barks at the man, making its owner step back from the strange man. "It's alright." She says holding her dog close before quickly turning and leaving.

The man then turns to me again. "How about you?" He asks, holding out the food items for me to take. The more he looked at me, the more uncomfortable I felt. I couldn't explain what it was, but I didn't like the feeling. Shaking my head no, I quickly turn away, walking as far away from the man as possible.

An hour or so later, I realized that there wasn't much for me to do, other than sit around and wait. I hadn't seen Eun-hyuk, so I assumed that he had gone back to the security office. 

It seemed to be late at night, as most of the residents were falling asleep in different corners of the daycare. I passed out some blankets that I had found in a closet. They weren't very warm, but it was better than nothing.

There weren't enough blankets for everyone, but I didn't mind giving up a blanket for others to stay warm. I had one last blanket and walked over to the lady and her dog. 

"Here, you should use this to stay warm..." I say, pausing as I realized that I didn't know her name.

She noticed my hesitation and spoke up. "Hye-In. My name is Son Hye-In." She tells me, accepting the blanket that I had for her. I smile, nodding my head as I silently repeat her name to myself.

After still not seeing Eun-hyuk, I decide it's probably for the best. I wouldn't even know what to say to him anyway. I choose a wall to lean against and let my head fall back to stare up at the ceiling. I thought back to the events that occurred earlier today. I almost got eaten by a giant spider monster, I got stabbed, and the president was killed on live tv. And most important of all is that I had kissed Eun-hyuk. And he kissed me back. I knew that the kiss probably meant nothing to him, but for me, it meant a lot. He was my first kiss. And the first person that I had ever had such strange feelings for. I had never felt this way for anyone else before.