Chapter 31:

When I finally woke up, it was dark in the room as the lights were turned off. Sitting up, I look around for Eun-hyuk. He was nowhere to be found. The desktop monitors appeared to be turned off as well. The door was cracked open a bit, allowing light from the hallways to leak into the room. Looking down at my lap, I noticed a blanket was covering me. Eun-hyuk must have put this on me. Yawning slightly, I decided to get up to stretch my legs a bit.

Exiting the security office, I look both ways down the hallway. It was quiet and empty. What time is it? I begin to wonder as I slowly walk down the hall. I stop when I notice someone standing just a few feet ahead of me. Lifting my head, I lock eyes with the creepy resident. Why does he keep appearing when I'm alone?

"The security office... so that's where you've been hiding." He says while scratching his neck, his head twitching slightly as he spoke. "I asked around about you, but everyone told me that that boyfriend of yours keeps you hidden away in there. Where is he now?" He continues, taking a step towards me. 

I take a step back, only to bump into someone. I release a breath of relief, happy that I wasn't alone with this guy. The guy stops coming closer, staring wide eyes at the person behind me. He seemed worried and almost scared. Curious as to why he was scared, I step to the side and turn to face a tall figure. It was the big tough man that had come down from the apartments. I remember hearing whispers that he was a gangster. And with the scars on his skin, he sure looked the part. I believe his name was Sang-wook. Or at least that's what one of the residents told me.

The man simply looks down at me, before raising his eyes to meet those of the creepy resident. He had a cigarette between his lips. He brings his hand up to grab ahold of the cigarette, blowing smoke out of his mouth as he takes a slow step forward. I step to the side, out of his way, seeing that he appeared to be upset with the creepy man about something.

"Hi." The man says nervously, watching as the gangster is almost a foot away from him now.

"Yeah, it's me, asshole," Sangwook says before quickly swinging at the creepy man. I couldn't help the shocked gasp that escaped from me as I watched him continue to hit the man.

I watch as he throws the man against a wall, and then kicks him to the ground. I didn't know what to do. I would be of no help to stop this fight, but did I want to help that creepy man? Surely the man, Sangwook, has some reason for fighting that man.

"Wait a minute..." The now injured man says from the floor. Sangwook takes another swig of his cigarette before kicking the man again. "I have something to say." The man says before he jumps up from the ground and tackles Sangwook.

The two fall backward into the gated wall of what appears to be a hair salon. Sangwook seemed unbothered by the shorter man throwing punches at him. The man suddenly backs away, running off down the hallway while Sangwook remains against the wall.

 He smiles as he continues to finish off his cigarette, before pushing off from the wall.  "wait!" I say, rushing up to him. He pauses and looks down at me, waiting to hear what I have to say.

"I know you didn't mean to, but thank you for getting him away. He kept trying to get close to me and it was getting too strange." I say, looking down the hall where the creepy man had disappeared.

"Don't worry about him. He won't bother you ever again." Sangwook says before walking away.

I watch as he leaves and I think about what he had said. I couldn't help but think there were two meanings behind it. Did he mean he would ensure the man didn't bother me again? Or was he going to hurt the man even more?  While Sangwook looked to be the gangster type, I couldn't imagine him killing the man. I couldn't imagine anyone intentionally killing someone.

 But who knew, with the way the world is now, anyone could be a killer.