10 - The start

I pulled into the driveway and turned off my car. Hawk and I got out and walked up the sidewalk. I pressed the lock button twice to make sure it was locked. We walked into the front door and my parents were sitting at the dining room table eating dinner. I had told them about Hawk before, but it was not good. I was ranting to them on how much of an asshole he was. I told my parents too about the break up with james. My dad was happy because he never liked him. Hawk being a jerk was not all I saw anymore though. I see something different in him. Kind of like a lost soul trying to find itself.

¨Well hello.¨ My mom looked up.

¨Hey mom. This is Hawk. Hawk this is my mom and dad.¨ I pointed over at them.

¨Hello Mrs and Mr Hart.¨ He waved and smiled.

¨Hawk and I were talking about the new horror movie on Netflix, we wanted to watch it, but Hawk doesn't have Netflix so I thought he could watch it here. Is that ok?¨ I closed the door and took off my shoes.

¨Yeah honey. Why don't you come make some popcorn with me. Your dad and I were gonna watch a movie too, but we can watch ours in our room.¨ My mom got up from the table with her empty plate.

¨Okay. I will be right back. You can take off your shoes here.¨ I walked over to the kitchen with my mom while Hawk took his shoes off.

¨So....¨ I heard my dad begin to talk to Hawk. I hope he went easy on him, but after what I told him that might now be the case.

¨Is this the same Hawk you were telling us about?¨ She grabbed two bowls from the cabinet.

¨Yeah.¨ I opened the pantry.

¨I thought he was a...¨ She began to speak.

¨Asshole. Yeah he still is. But I saw another side of him I guess you could say.¨ I found the popcorn bags and took two out of the box.

¨Well okay. Is this other side your talking about a crush?¨ She nudged my shoulder.

¨Ew gross mom. No, just friends.¨ I closed the pantry while nervous laughing. I always did that when I was lying and she knew that.

¨Well okay. But I trust that you know when its time to call it quits. I don't want you to get hurt. Bad boys are charming, but not always nice with your feelings.¨ She put the popcorn in the microwave and turned it on.

¨Well there is nothing to get hurt over, because I don't like him.¨ I leaned against the kitchen island.

The popcorn finished and my mom carefully took it out to make sure she didn't burn herself. She set down the bag for about two minutes to let it cool off. I opened the bags and pored them into two bowls. We walked back out to the kitchen where Hawk and my dad were talking at the table. They were both laughing, which was a good sign that my dad was being nice.

¨Popcorn's ready.¨ I set down one of the bowls on the table.

¨Alright well you guys have fun. Were gonna head upstairs.¨ My mom and dad got up and headed up to the third floor where their room was.

¨Your house is huge!¨ Hawk and I walked over to the couch.

¨Yeah. Its cool, but sometimes it can feel lonely.¨ I set the popcorn on the coffee table.

¨Do you have any siblings?¨"He sat down on the couch.

¨No, its just me.¨ I grabbed the remote and sat at the opposite end of the couch so things wouldn't be weird.

¨Where is your room in this place.¨ He rested his feet up on the foot rest.

¨Second floor.¨ I opened Netflix and selected my account.

¨That's cool. What are we watching? And by the way I have Netflix.¨ He laughed.

¨I know, basically everyone does. Were watching The Bye Bye Man.¨ I scrolled through the horror movie section.

¨You must lie a lot because that was a pretty sly one.¨ He shivered.

¨I don't need to, I am an only child. I usually get what I want.¨ I got up and grabbed two blankets and threw him one.

¨Thanks.¨ He caught the blanket and put it over himself. ¨I am an only child too. It can be lonely sometimes.¨

¨Yeah and having a big house doesn't help. We don't need all of it, but my parents want to give me everything I need and more.¨ I looked over at him.

¨Where do your parents work?¨ He looked over at me.

¨My dad works at a dealership and my mom is a surgeon.¨ I looked back at the TV and selected the movie.

¨Cool¨ He looked at the TV and we both stopped talking.

It was towards the middle of the movie where it got scary. The beginning of horror movie are usually boring. I kind of like horror movies, but if they are too scary I don't like them. I heard the Bye Bye Man was terrifying, but I wanted to give it a try. My favorite genre of movie is comedy. There is nothing better than just laughing your ass off with your friends and family.

There was a jump scare. ¨Holy shit!¨ I jumped up out of my seat basically in mid air.

¨Little jumpy there aren't you?¨ He laughed mocking me.

¨How on earth did that not scare you?!¨ I took a deep breath.

¨I don't get scared. I know when the jump scares are coming.¨ He playfully rolled his eyes. ¨Come sit next to me, maybe you will be less scared.¨ He patted the couch.

I moved over and sat next to him, but we weren't touching. Another jump scare happened and I once again jumped out of my seat, but this time landing right next to Hawk in his arms. He just smiled and wrapped his arm around me. His warm touch calmed me down. Butterflies filled my stomach and that is the moment I realized, I liked Hawk. My body became less tense and I rested my head on his shoulder. Then yet again there was another jump scare. This time I didn't jump. My eyes weren't even on the screen. Hawk had grabbed my hand that was resting on my leg. He knew the jump scare was coming.

¨That's it, I can't watch this anymore.¨ I leaned over and picked up the remote. ¨Were watching a comedy.

¨Happy Gilmore!¨ Hawk suggested.

¨No way that is my favorite!¨ I turned it on and leaned back against Hawk.

We watched the whole movie through. We laughed so hard that by the end of the movie I could barely laugh anymore. The credits turned on and I picked up my phone. It was 10 o'clock.

¨I should get going, my mom will be worried.¨ We sat up.

We got our shoes on and I drove him to his house.

¨I had a lot of fun Raelynn.¨ He unbuckled his seat belt.

¨Me too, but I still hate you.¨ I laughed and pushed his shoulder.

¨Me too.¨ He smiled, got out, and closed the door.

I went home, got ready for bed, and fell asleep.