➳ sixteen

Jase

I got something for Ashton.

For some reason I felt giddy after our date. I couldn't stop talking about it with dad. He says Ashton's a special kid.

The war was still going on, but it's safe to say my feelings have just started. I had been searching for the surprise all day, and I told dad to say I was grocery shopping if Ashton came by.

I put the gift in a black box, wrapping it in the white tissue paper. I taped the small card to the top of the box.

I could see that Ashton's mom and siblings weren't home. I saw them this morning, Mrs. Irwin telling me that they were going to Lego land. Ashton didn't want to go.

Later that night, when dad was at the art center, I put on a simple black dress, then slipped on my converse.

I walked across the street with a nervous feeling. I smiled slightly, the giddy feeling arising as I walked across the street.

As I walked up the driveway, I could see Ashton inside from the window.

He wasn't alone.

There was a girl.

She had almost black hair, and light skin. She was beautiful. My confidence level dropped drastically.

Her hands were on Ashton's chest, and she was looking up into Ashton's eyes. Ashton's back was turned, so I couldn't see his face.

Her hands traveled up to his shoulders.

I walked a little closer and watched.

I couldn't take it anymore.

I tossed the box on the doormat, then walked back to my house. Walking turned into sprinting, then sprinting turned into running.

I got two cans of grape soda and got up on the roof. I didn't care if I was in a dress. I chugged the two cans in ten minutes.

I just felt sad. Crying didn't come until later, because once I felt a small tear fall down my cheek, I realized; I really like Ashton.

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

Awe - Nina