➳ twenty-two

Jase

"I'm sorry, alright? Is that what you wanted to hear?" I asked.

Ashton's eyes softened. I couldn't take it anymore.

"I'm happy that I'm Jase Parker. Darry took me in when I thought no one would, and I'm sure as hell that he's the best thing that's ever happened to me too. So don't you dare make ridiculous accusations that I'm not content with what I have." I began.

"And I'm sorry if it looked that way. Wouldn't you want to know? Wouldn't you want to get a glimpse of the people who created you? I sure as hell would, but I had no luck, alright? I'm well aware that they abandoned me, but it sucks not knowing who I really come from."

Ashton looked emotionless and full of emotion all at once, if that made sense.

"You guys are enough. Darry and you, the little germ that declared childish drumming wars for some odd reason, is all I really need. I don't need a big house and a new family and a new life," I breathed, feeling a small tear run down my face.

"If my parents wouldn't have given me up, I wouldn't be Jase, Ashton. I'd be Margaret Hamilton. Do you understand how different I'd be? I don't wanna live in that world. I'm happy being on this roof with a can of grape soda and an adorable-dimpled-cheeky-drummer-boy- who I have a crush on right in front of me."

Ashton slowly amd carfully slid over, placing a kiss on my cheek. "I'm sorry."

I huffed, "it's okay. I know you have someone else anyways."

He scrunched his nose, "what? I don't think my mother counts."

I shook my head, "the girl who had her hands all over you the other night."

Ashton giggled, "that's my psycho ex-girlfriend, Jase. Trust me, I kicked her out before she went any further."

I smiled faintly, looking down shyly. Ashton wrapped an arm around me, whispering, "and thanks for the drumsticks. Possibly the best gift I've ever gotten."

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

Going to sleep guys so I hope you have sweet little dreams and stuff - Nina