Chapter 3: Family

Walking into this new house didn't even feel close to my old home at all.

New place but for some reason since my family was there I thought maybe everything would settle nicely, but I was proved wrong.

Have you ever walked into a new place and everything thing felt stiff, then so did you? That's what happened when I walking into my parents apartment. New and stiff.

My mom greeted me with a usual hug and almost screamed "LEYLAH!"

"Hi mom" I said as I gave her a small smile.

"Is everything okay? " I could see the worry and suspicion growing in her eyes.

"I just didn't sleep well last night, I think it's giving me a headache. Have any advil close?"

She smiled in relief and practically ran into the bathroom and I heard the opening of cabinets.

I had never seen her this way before. The move must have been good for her, as it is she does have dad...

She came back with a dixie cup of water and 2 Advil for me.

"Thanks mom. " I was trying not to sound too disappointed to be spending time there.

"What have been up to Ley? You barely keep in touch with any of us." She always did want to know what was going on with me 24/7.

Again Leylah, the accident.

"Um, I mean I've just been getting settled in and roaming around getting to know things around here a bit better. " Lies.

" Any recommendations? "

Shit.

" Not really, like I said, just a lot of wandering I guess. "

" Well how's the apartment treating you then? "

It's not home, that's for sure.

" Pretty well actually. I have Jude and I'm pretty sure he's liking it too. " I smiled a genuine smile while thinking of my only true companion through this whole process.

"Well that's definitely good to hear! I wouldn't want you to keep completely to yourself. Even if the company is a cat."

Typical.

"Speaking of company" I said changing the subject, "Where's dad?"

" Oh, he should be back soon." she said as she checked her diamond studded watch.

I just noticed all that she had on. She looked too fake to be my mom. Not that she want always dressed like that, but I gave myself a quick glance and questioned how I fit with her.

I leaned back onto the new leather couch and tried not to look as uncomfortable as I felt.

"Tea?" she yelled from the kitchen.

Are you kidding me?

"Sure?"

She came back with two mugs, steaming.

"I guess England is treating you well then."

She had never shown any interest in tea like I did back home. She actually commented on how much she hated it every time I drank it. Was it the tea or the person drinking it?

Stop.

"Absolutely! So many new things and experiences to happen!"

I had to keep from rolling my eyes all the way into the back of my head. Thankfully as I was about to come back with a smart response, my dad game clammering through the door.