Chapter 50: Ben

Ed's POV:

Considering Leylah's condition after birth, we had to wait a few days to leave the hospital, but I didn't mind.

I had a new baby son in my arms, and a beautiful wife who blessed me with him. My life was now filled with so much joy that I think I could've exploded.

We spent our time in her hospital room, just talking to Ben, or to each other. There was a new light in her eyes when she would look at me or look down to our beautiful boy. One that I hadn't seen for quite a while, and I loved it more than anything.

"I think that we should read him a book or something," she said while studying his face.

"And why do you say that, love?" I asked lightly.

"I want him to appreciate words as much as we do, and maybe if we start really early it'll help him when we're older."

I looked at her with a smile, "you're talking in future tense."

She smiled back, "Of course I am."

A few moments of us just smiling at each other passed, then I grabbed one one of the books that are on the wall in hospital rooms.

She scooted over so that I could sit, and she could lean her body against mine with her head on my shoulder.
I opened the book, and caught a glimpse of my family beside me.

_____________________________________

We took the first steps back into our house after a week and a half of being away. Of course, our lives had been a bit of a sorted mess since Leylah made the request that I play more, but maybe now we would finally settle down.

"You take him up to rest, and I'll put everything away. I'll be up soon," I said, guiding her with my hand to her back.

"Okay," she replied, yawning and adjusting Ben in her arms.

I watched as she slowly walked up the stairs to make sure that she made it to the top.

There were only a few things that needed to be put away. It took me one trip to the car to grab everything and head upstairs.

As I opened the door to our room I fumbled with the clothes I had worn when we were informed that we would need to stay for a little longer than normal.

I cursed a bit to myself while dropping a pair of my shorts. To my surprise, Leylah sat wide awake with a sleeping Ben in her arms.

"You're still up."

She didn't take her eyes off of him. "Does it ever worry you that he doesn't cry a lot?" she asked with her eyes furrowed, observing him.

"Not really. Mum says that I was a quiet kid," I said, dropping the clothes on the dresser. "Does it worry you? " I asked sitting down in the bed next to her. My arm fell around her and pulled her to lean onto me.

"Just makes feel that I'm doing something wrong, or he doesn't want me."

"Ley, you're his mother. He's not thinking that. He's thinking baby things. Like, "Damn I'm hungry" or "It's really bright out here compared to where I was for the past nine months."

She laughed, "That an exact translation?"

"Yeah, we have that father-son telepathy. We tight."

"Oh I see now. That's what I've been feeling when you guys look at each other," she said sarcastically.

"Yeyah," I responded in my best gangster voice.

"I married the world's whitest man."

"And you love it," I said proudly, lifting Ben from her arms.

"Debatable. Hey, where are you taking him?" I heard from the bedroom as I went to lay him down on his own.

"He's gonna sleep on his own for a while. If he needs you, he'll let us know!" I laughed and kissed his forehead before laying him down on his back gently. I came back into the room and she was already laying down and wrapped around the blankets like a koala. "I wanna join," I whined. She simply lifted the covers for me. I crawled towards her tired figure and fit her body perfectly into mine. "I can properly hold you again. I like this," I laughed.

"Sorry that I was the size of an elephant to give you a son," she joked.

"Worse than any pain I could endure."

"I'm so soar though," she mumbled into my shirt. I felt around for her shoulder blades to rub them, and I found that she was quite tense.

"You just need a good back rub, that's all," I said rolling her over. "Shirt off," I demanded softly.

"Cheeky," she giggled.

When her shirt was completely off she laid on her stomach and winced trying to get comfortable in the position.

I began my placing one of my legs on either side of her hips, and resting my bum on hers. My hands began to roam from her spine out, kneading her skin. I continued to place a few kisses up her back in random places, or wherever she would seem uncomfortable with my rubbing a tender spot.

"You know," I said quietly, still working, "You've always just been so beautiful.".

"Ed," she began to protest.

"No. Really. You have cancer, then a baby, and you're still so beautiful. I don't understand how it's possible."

"You're bias," she stated, face still in the pillows.

"That doesn't matter. I just wanted you to know," I huffed.

I lifted her shoulder and laid her on her back, adjusting to the change. I soon moved in between her legs and sat and leaned in inches from her face.

"Well hello," she giggled.

"Hi," I smiled and pressed my lips against hers. My heart began to race as she kissed back almost immediately, and I was reminded of all the times my heartbeat had risen in these moments. So much so that I could practically hear it.

My tongue slipped over her bottom lip and worked with hers. "Woah now, Sheeran," she said in between kisses. "I missed this too," she hummed into my lips, sending shivers down my spine. Only to be followed by her hands coming to rest on my back. She had a way of subconsciously moving her hands in a comforting way, but every so often, her nails would tickle my skin as a reminder that I was still very alive, and still very in love with her.

I lifted my head for a few moments, "I really love you, Leylah. Always have, always will."

She laughed, "Well I guess it good that I love you too." A smile still lingered as she continued, "and we made a beautiful human, don't you think?"

"I do."

"Think about it. Someday he's going to have his own thoughts and ideas. He's going to have breakups, and a certain favorite subject. He may love music too, I mean how could he not?" I could tell that her mind was reeling as she continued, "There's so much that he can be, and we gave him that chance," she finished with a smile still plastered across her face.

"It's gonna be a wild time."

"What a great day to be alive, Ed."

I allowed myself to lay down and bring her back to my chest, feeling her breath on my neck. "You know," she spoke up, "You're going to be the most perfect dad. How did I find you?"

"Ben and his strange ways with fate," I smiled and kissed her forehead.

"What a life to be alive."

__________________________________

Hello, my beautiful friends. How do we all feel about this chapter? Comment what you thought :) I love you guys and hope your lives are going better than just decent. Updates will be better I think, as I have figured out how I want to continue. I hope you enjoy it too. This chapter is dedicated to my best friend _Give_Me_Ed_ cause I know she's stressin about her parents, but we get to meet in 2 months. I'm so excited, I can't even fathom it. Stay beautiful x :) ❤