Reapings: District 2

(Trilia Stell's POV)

As I lay out Eden's dress on her bed, I hum. I don't normally hum, but today I'm excited. It's the reaping. I get to go into the arena. Prove myself to the whole country!

The one problem is Eden. She has to go in with me. She can hold her own, yes, but if it came to us as the last two, I don't think I'd have the guts to kill her. She certainly couldn't kill me. I just have to hope it's not us.

Eden walks in, wearing a bathrobe much like mine. Her wet hair is wrapped in a towel. I hold up her pink dress for her to see. She smiles. "It's perfect!"

I leave the room so Eden can change, and cross the hall to my own bedroom. My dress is hanging on s hook on my closet door. My father paid a stylist to make it especially for me. It's white and lacy, with short sleeves and a short skirt. It fits me perfectly. I quickly slip it on.

I hear a knock on my door. "Come in!"

"Can you do my hair for me?" Eden asks, as she walks through the door. She doesn't wait for an answer and sits down on my bed.

"Sure," I say, and grab some bobby pins to pin her brown curls back.

"Trilia? I'm a little bit... Nervous."

I frown. "Why?"

"It's... Nevermind. Will you miss me?"

"Of course, Eden. I'll miss you a lot."

She sighs, then looks glum for a moment before smiling again. I've seen Eden smile enough to know that this isn't a real smile, though.

"Do you think the Capitol looks as strange as it does on television? Like all the people?"

"Probably," I say.

"They say the food is absolutely to die for. What are you looking forward to?"

"Being in the arena. Bringing honor to my district. I won't let anyone get in my way." At the Academy, Im known as being the most ruthless and sadistic trainee. Everyone respects me because of that, and a lot of people are jealous. On the flip side, I don't have any lose friends. Though, really, friends are overrated. Especially since, to win the Games, I'd have to kill one of them.

Eden frowns. Sometimes I get the feeling she's is scared of me, though I can't Imogene why.

I finish doing her hair, and we trade places. "I wish I had beautiful blonde hair like you..." Eden says wistfully.

"Don't be silly," I say, smiling at her in the mirror. "I wish I had brown hair like yours." Eden smiles.

"Girls!" My father calls from downstairs. "You need to eat something before you go!" Eden races down the stairs, and I follow at a more leisurely pace.

My father is standing at the sink. His graying hair looks lighter in the sunlight pouring through the window. I pull some strawberries out of our refrigerator.

"Does toast sound good?" Father asks. Ever since Mother died a couple of years ago, Father has been trying his best to take on the roll of both father and mother. It's not easy, especially with his job training peacekeepers. Most of the time, I end up acting as a mother to Eden.

The table seems to have a dark cloud hanging over it. The mood is definitely darker than normal. Eden pushes her strawberries around on plate. Father keeps glancing at the clock. Finally, he sighs and says, "Well, you better leave now. You don't want to be late."

Eden jumps up and hugs him. "You'll misses me, right?" Shes suddenly on the verge of tears.

"Of course, Eden, of course I will." He soothingly pats her head. Eden lets him go after another's ute, and wipes a tear away.

I hug him too. "Take care of her, as best you can," he whispers.

I nod. "I will. I promise."

~~~~

(Liliana Wells' POV)

I glare at Jackson as he passes me, on his way to the bathroom. He just sighs and shakes his head. "Liliana..." I don't let him finish, and slam my door in his face.

How could he do this? He knows I don't want to kill anyone. He could wait till next year! I hate my brother so much. He didn't even ask me, he just told his coach he would still volunteer.

There's a part of me that feels bad for hating him. I'm normally a nice, caring person. But of course, if someone's being forced into a competition to the death with their psycho brother, who wouldn't be upset?

I slip into a light blue dress, and braid my hair. Then I quietly make my way down the back stairs, and slip outside. I need some time alone, to rehearse my plan. Over the course of a few weeks, I've worked out a plan. I will not be allying with my brother, or any other Careers for that matter. Probably, my best bet is teaming up with some tributes from 11 or 7. I don't think I'd be able to kill anyone unless I had to, and even then I won't be happy about it.

I walk through the town to the Justice Building. People are already starting to arrive for the reaping. I see the girl who is volunteering this year, Trilia Stell. Normally, I wouldn't know that, but Jackson found out and told me. Trilia and her sister both check in, then go to their sections.

I slowly walk over and check in. They prick my finger, and press it into a piece of paper. I walk over to the sixteen-year-old girls' section. Jackson will be in the seventeen-year-old section behind me.

Slowly, the square fills. The mayor makes a speech, and reads the Treat of Treason. It used to be shorter, before the Mockingjay rebellion. Twenty-five years ago, a rebel named Katniss Everdeen led the districts to rise up against the Capitol, causing great suffering and loss of life. The Capitol quickly regained control, within two years, and reinstated the Hunger Games, but much harsher. Tributes were allowed to say goodbye to their families after the Reaping, they were allowed to take a token in the arena with them, little things like that were changed, that don't seem big, but really are quite important once you're denied them.

District 2's escort, Flavia del Lucette, walks on stage, tottering in her high heels. Her bright green lipstick and dark purple hair look ridiculous, really. She smiles, and says in her high-pitched accent, "Welcome, to the reaping for the 100th Hunger Games!" Several people in the crowd cheer. "May the odds be ever in your favor."

She walks over to the single, large reaping ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. "The first pair of tributes are..." She pauses and unfolds the paper. "Lucia and Alena Tempry!"

Two identical girls from the twelve-year-old section walk slowly up the stairs. Flavia beams. "Well aren't you two adorable! Do we have any volunteers?"

I find myself playing that Jackson has changed his mind. No such luck. "I volunteer!" My brother stops next to my section. "Liliana. Come on." A peacekeeper has to come drag me out. We scale the steps as the twins run back to their spot.

"And what are your names?" Flavia trills.

"My name is Jackson, and Im 17. My sister Liliana is 16." He smiles confidently.

Flavia smiles excitedly. "And now for the next pair!" She totters back the reaping ball and grabs another slip.

"The next tributes are... Jason and Katalina Renner!"

Two more twelve year olds make their way through the crowd and up to the stage. "Any volunteers?" Flavia asks.

"I volunteer as tribute!" Trilia slips out of her section, and up the aisle, joined by her sister.

"And what are your names?"

"My name is Trilia Stell, and Im 18. My sister is Eden, and she's 14." Eden and Trilia are holding hands. It's strange to think that Eden doesn't resent her sister. As for myself, Im standing as far from Jackson as I can.