Reapings: District 6

(Carson Henson's POV)

I try, unsuccessfully, to tie my tie. Finally, I give up and chuck it across the room. It falls behind the bed. I don't really care. I turn back to the mirror. I look like I'm eight. It's terrible. I've always been small, but this is ridiculous. At least in the arena, people might let me go based on the "cuteness factor."

I snort. As if that would happen. I'll probably die before Hayden. As long as he dies too, though, I'm ok.

Maybe it sounds weird for a twelve-year-old to be seriously wishing his older brother would die. Well, Hayden is different. Ever since Mom died, four years ago, he's blamed me for it. We've lived with our grandmother, but she doesn't pay much attention to us. So Hayden is free to "discipline" me however he sees fit. Normally, with a belt.

Mostly, I try to just be quiet and stay out of his way, and he ignores me.

At least this morning he's to busy getting ready for the Reaping to bother with me. I can't wait to see the look on his face when I volunteer.

I hear Grandma calling us down to breakfast. Quickly, I slide a comb through my hair, and run downstairs.

Hayden comes down a minute after me, looking as perfect as always. Every girl likes him, though if they saw the monster hiding under that dazzling smile, I think they'd change their minds about him.

I intentionally leave a few minutes before him, so I don't have to walk the whole way to the square with him. Once I get there, I head to the twelve-year-old section. A couple of peacekeepers stop by, asking if I'm old enough to be here. I'm armed with a copy of my birth certificate, so they quickly move along.

~~~~

(Destiny Chard's POV)

"Dominic?" a hint of worry creeps into my voice. "What if we get reaped?"

Dominic shrugs. "I don't know," then turns back to his breakfast.

My friend Sicily hugs me. "You won't get chosen. There are so many kids in District 6, the odds of you getting chosen are almost nothing."

I smile at her. Sicily always knows what to say. Unlike Dominic. He's been saying "I don't know" for the past five years, since our parents died.

They had been wrongly accused of being rebels, and were sentenced to death. Only afterwards did the authorities find out the truth, that our parents had been loyal citizens. Dominic just... ran off after that. He wasn't there for me. I was left all alone. That's when I met Sicily, my new roommate. She became like my sister. But I still missed Dominic. Even after he was brought back, he was aloof, uncaring. And I resent him for that.

Of course, on the outside I act like I don't care. Sicily is the only one who knows it affects me. And I'd like to keep it that way, if I can.

Mr. Charleston blows a whistle, and the dining room gets quiet. "All right, kids, time to head to the Reaping! I hope and pray we'll see you all back here tonight!" Everyone gets up and makes their way to the doors.

Together, Dominic and I are in the Reaping ball twelve times. I've been taking out tesserae for myself every year, something Dominic has never done for either of us, even though he was twelve when our parents died.

We arrive at the square in a few minutes. Sicily is fifteen, so she leaves and goes to the section behind mine. Our escort, a new one this year, pulls a slip out of the reaping ball. "Dustry and Shilo Temp!" Two twelve years old make their way on stage.

The escort asks for volunteers, and to everyone's surprise, a tiny little boy in the twelve-year-old section jumps up and shouts, "I volunteer!" The kid looks like he's eight.

An older boy stomps past me, glaring. He mutters something to his brother when he gets on stage, and his brother just stomps on his foot, making the younger kids laugh nervously. Before the older boy can clobber his little brother, some peacekeepers run on stage and pull him back. The littler boy gives their names and ages, a triumphant look on his face. I do not want to know what's going on in that family.

The escort pulls another slip out. "Let's see, who is our next lucky pair?" She unfolds it. "Dominic and Destiny Chard!"

I hear a gasp from behind me, and turn to see Sicily break down in tears. Before anyone can stop me, I run and hug her. "I love you." She nods, and hugs me back before a peacekeeper pulls me away and leads me towards the stage. Dominic gives our ages. I can't look at Sicily, for fear I'll start crying too.

This isn't possible. This can't be happening. It must be a dream. I pinch myself, and unfortunately, I can feel it. It's not a dream.