Reapings: District 11

(Eve Alonzo's POV)

My whole life, I've lived in Zoe's shadow. Today is no different. She's there, comforting Mom and the little kids, and what am I doing? I can't handle the stress, so I retreated to my room with a book, and now I'm waiting for when we have to leave. Great daughter, right?

Zoe is so kind, and friendly, and outgoing, and popular. I know I'll never be able to compete with her, and I gave up a long time ago. Most of the time, I retreat inside a book.

Zoe comes tripping down the hall after a few minutes. "You ok?"

I nod and continue reading without glancing up. Zoe plops down on the bed beside me. "You sure? Cause I'm not sure if I'm ok, and so of course I wondered about you, because we're twins, and there's that twin telepathy thing." I roll my eyes, and she laughs. When we were little, we used to try and use our "twin telepathy," but it never worked, of course. Twin telepathy is stupid, and has no evidence to back it, anyway.

Zoe puts her arm around my shoulders. "Whatcha reading?"

I hold up my book so she can see the cover. It's a book about astronomy. Zoe makes a face like she's going to be sick. "Why are you reading that? It's not required for school, and it looks boring."

"I think it's interesting." My tone is colder than I had wanted. Zoe slowly pulls her arm off me. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see her hurt expression.

After a minute, she sighs and gets up. "Well, bye, then." I feel a bit guilty about hurting her, but lately I've started to resent a lot more. I think she's noticed, but I don't care.

Finally, it's time to leave, and I hug Mom, Dad, and the little kids, then set off quickly, so I don't have to walk with Zoe.

~~~~

(Glade Rose's POV)

In my opinion, my sister is the most beautiful girl, alive, at least. Bella is the sweetest, most caring sister in District 11. Her boyfriend, Marcus, is lucky to have her.

I smile as they walk arm-in-arm towards the square. How perfect could this be? My best friend, dating my sister. In fact, he told me he plans on proposing after the our last Reaping. Today.

Only one thing could make this better. If my beautiful Brilyn were here. My smile fades as I think about her. How I had assured her she wouldn't be reaped. I'd sworn my undying love to her that day, three years ago now. And yet, she was reaped. I visited her this morning. Brought her flowers. She rests on a hill, under a birch tree. A small, white stone, paid for by the Capitol, has her name on it. Brilyn Grace Kipling.

I reach into my pocket and feel her token. Her parents had given it back to me, when her body was delivered. A ring. I always kept it with me. I gave it to her that morning, the last time I saw her. Oh, sweet irony, it was on that very hill where she now lies that we had our first, and last, kiss.

Bella glances over her shoulder. Her laugh dies and she quickly walks back to me. Marcus follows, just as quickly. "Glade? Are you ok?"

I slowly nod. "Yeah. Just remembering..."

Bella nods, giving me a sympathetic smile. She loops one arm through mine, then her other through Marcus's. "Just think. After today, we never have to worry about the reaping again."

Marcus smiles. "Freedom at last."

I laugh. "Freedom to work in the fields every day. Sounds amazing." Marcus rolls his eyes and laughs.

Bella parts from us at the square, and Marcus and I stand side-by-side in the 18-year-old section, at the far back. I glance across the aisle, at my twin. She smiles and waves, then quickly turns to face the stage as the mayor starts talking.

It's the same speech every year. Marcus and I have heard it often enough, that we unconsciously mouth the words as the mayor says them.

Our escort is new this year. After last year's fiasco where the old one couldn't maintain control of the crowds, he got sacked. Probably rotting in some Capitol jail. Wouldn't that be nice.

"Hello!" the new escort gushes. "My name is Augustus Ploonta! Let me just say what an honor it is to be here. Now, I'm sure you're all waiting to know the tributes! Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!" It's quite obvious he's new. He looks incredibly nervous, and I'm pretty sure he botched his speech. He quickly bounces over to the reaping ball.

"Our first pair of tributes... Eve and Zoe Alonzo!" Two redheads make their way on stage, surprisingly calm. Several people in the crowd behind me, however, are sobbing. Mainly younger children.

"Well, well, let's hear which is which!" Augustus says, laughing at his "wit."

One of them plasters a smile on her face. "My name is Zoe, this is Eve, and we are 16."

"Spectaculous!" Augustus says. He goes for the next slip.

"The next pair is... Glade and Bella Rose!"

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Marcus's face grow considerably paler. If he hadn't been naturally dark-skinned, he'd have looked like a sheet.

"Marcus," I say quickly, urgently. "I promise I'll protect her. She'll come home. I promise." Marcus looks at me, and I can see conflicting pain and gratitude in his expression. Then, someone grabs my arm and drags me out to the aisle. Bella is waiting there, crying.

I pull my arm out of the peacekeeper's grasp and offer it to Bella. "You're coming home," I whisper.

Just as we're about to mount the steps, there's a shout, and Marcus runs up and grabs Bella's hand. She turns, and he quickly gets down on one knee. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Augustus motioning to the peacekeepers to back away.

"Bella Rose," Marcus says, tears threatening to choke his voice. "Will you please marry me?"

Bella starts sobbing, and nods. Marcus quickly gets up and enfolds her in embrace. I smile, but tear slips out of my eye of its own accord. One things for sure. Marcus just made the Rose family Capitol favorites.