Reapings: District 12

(Before I start the chapter, I'd just like to let you guys know about my latest book. Capitol TV is basically a large-scale Q&A, with some fun short stories and one shots in there for fun. I also would like you to at least have it in your library because every "Presidential Announcement" is an announcement from me, giving information about 1) why I won't be able to update, 2) a new fanfic, or 3) a call for inspiration. Those are things all my followers need to know.

Also, I'm going to be hosting a writing contest every week! Each Sunday, I'll have a new challenge! Go check out the book on my profile for more details!)

(Jared Petroski's POV)

Trey roughly shakes me awake. "Jared, we'll be late. Get up." I quickly stumble out of bed, falling flat on the floor. Trey doesn't offer me any help as I pull myself to my feet. "Hurry up," he mutters, then turns and walks out of the bedroom that we share.

I quickly pull my thread-bare brown suit on. It was Trey's, and it's practically falling off of me. I'm a lot scrawnier than Trey was when he was twelve.

After running a wet comb through my hair, I start looking for my shoes. No where to be found. I quietly make my way to the kitchen to see if my shoes are there.

Our kitchen is small, just like most kitchens in the Seam. There's an off-balance table and three chairs. A few shelves hang on the back wall, over the stove and the refrigerator. And next to the stove, my shoes. Mom must have polished them last night, because they shine in the morning light.

I sit down and pull my shoes on, and as I get up, a picture catches my eye. It's my father, who died in the mines when I was three. I don't remember him, but Trey does. He was eight. I don't think he ever recovered.

I'm trying to quietly sneak back to my room when I hear voices in the front room. I tiptoe up to the closed door and lean against the crack between the door and the wall.

I hear Mom's voice first. "Still, you're too hard on him. He's young. Let him enjoy being a child." They're talking about me. That's strange. I've never heard them disagree.

Trey's deep voice answers. "He needs to learn that life will be tough. I'm just trying to help him."

"You think he doesn't know that? Trey, he lives in the Seam! He's grown up with the horror stories of the mockingjay rebellion! He knows life will be tough." That's true enough.

Trey sighs. "I'm just trying to help him. I'm doing my best." He doesn't sound angry. He sounds kind of broken. And it's scary. Trey is supposed to be strong.

I back away from the door. I never knew that was Trey's reasoning. He's always been hard on me, but I thought it was because he didn't like me. It's nice to know I'm wrong.

A pang of guilt shoots through me. I've been treating him terribly, because I thought I was retaliating. If this has been his way of showing he cares, I can't imagine what he must think of me.

When they walk through the door a minute later, I'm sitting at the table, waiting. My guilt has given way to a plan: to start acting like a normal little brother.

Mom smiles at me. She looks tired, and there are streaks of gray in her auburn hair. Trey and I both look like Dad did: dark brown hair, gray eyes. Mom's red hair is rare.

"Do you think we'll be reaped?" I ask.

Trey shrugs. "I don't know. Maybe. There aren't many sibling pairs in District 12." Ever since District 12 was rebuilt, people seem wary of having children. The population is declining at a scary rate, and the Capitol has threatened "drastic measures" if the birth rate doesn't increase soon.

I wouldn't be scared if we were reaped. Trey is strong. He makes a living chopping wood for all the families in town. Not only does that keep us alive, but it makes him very intimidating and strong. He'd be able to protect us if we got reaped.

We eat in silence. We walk to the square in silence. We say quiet goodbyes to Mom, just in case, once we get there. I impulsively hug Trey, catching him off guard, but after a few seconds, he awkwardly hugs me back. Then, we go to our respective spots and wait.

~~~~

(Ivy Cartwright's POV)

As I stand, waiting for the mayor to finish reading the Treaty of Treason, I start thinking about Aunt Delly. She was a rebel, a refugee in District 13. She and Dad, her little brother, survived the bombing of District 12, and made it to District 13. Aunt Delly was essential in helping Peeta Mellark, the Peeta Mellark, get over being hijacked. And because of that, she was put to death, along with most the rebels over the age of 12 in District 13. Dad was 11. He was sent back to District 12, along with people pulled from other districts for various reasons. They were charged with repopulating the district after the Capitol cleared out the ruins and put it back to normal.

Dad says that if I was blonde and chubbier, I would look just like Aunt Delly did. I've seen her picture, though, and I have to disagree. I look more like Mom did, before she got sick and passed away. If only it had stayed that way.

But no. Dad had to remarry. His new wife, Cata, isn't so bad. It's her daughter, Rose, who's the terror.

She's 13, a year younger than me, and a psychopath. She has severe anger issues, and tends to become very violent when she gets angry. This morning, she threw my hairbrush into the mirror, shattering it, because I said she needed to hurry up.

I can see her ahead of me, her long, light brown hair tied up in a ponytail, like the District 2 girl's hair last year. They said it was like someone's from the 74th, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark's Games. I've nicknamed it "The Poofy Balls of Death."

Rose turns around and winks at me, smiling. She's not so bad when she's not angry. The thing is, anything can set her off. I smile and wave, then brush some of my own dark brown hair out of my face. I look like a true Seam girl, dark hair and gray eyes. No one would guess I live in town.

Our escort finally bounces on stage. Elianita Plumara's garish blue hair and purple eyeshadow looks out of place standing pn the stage in front of the new Justice Building. It's a huge stone building, mainly black, to represent coal. I hate black. I'd much rather be surrounded by colorful wild flowers, out in the forest beyond the wall. Dad said it used to just be a fence, but the Capitol has been cracking down on security a lot in the past 25 years. The wall is twelve feet high, and supposedly six feet thick. It goes down six feet into the ground, too. Any trees that were near it have been cut down.

Elianita giggles as she pulls out a slip. "Trey and Jared Petroski!" I see a little boy at the front slip out, and another one from the back joins him. They walk up the steps together. The older one introduces himself as Trey, and his brother is Jared.

"Our next tributes!" The escort skips back to the bowl and pulls a slip out. "Let's see... Ivy and Rose Cartwright!"

A feeling of numbness washes over me. I walk to the aisle in a daze. One thought pervades everything, eclipsing another one, tugging at the back of my mind. Katniss Everdeen was reaped. She survived. Katniss is my idol. I've spent hours watching her Games. I can do this.

Suddenly, the other thought gets pulled to the forefront when I hear Rose start screaming. I stop, half way up the steps, and turn to see Rose being dragged to the aisle by Peacekeepers. I hurry up the steps to get out of the way before I get mowed over. The deposit her at the mic, which she quickly grabs.

"IVY ISN'T EVEN MY SISTER!" she yells. The sound echoes across the square, which is suddenly eerily quiet.

Elianita takes the microphone back. "What do you mean?" She laughs nervously.

"We're stepsisters! That doesn't count, does it?" Suddenly, I'm filled with hope. Rose found the loophole, the thing only Rose would have found. Maybe, maybe we won't have to do this.

Elianita, the mayor, and his advisors are sent into a frenzy of hushed whispering. I glance at Rose, who is staring triumphantly into the cameras. I know Rose is an evil genius, but I didn't know it went this far.

All too soon, my hope is shattered. The mayor takes the microphone. "We have decided that, as these two girls are legally siblings, the reaping will stand. May the odds be ever in your favor, girls."