Reapings: District 7

(Cedar Haynes' POV)

Until just now, I'm ashamed to say I thought of my little sister Willow as just that, my little sister. The age gap between us always felt a lot bigger than one year. I've always felt the need to protect her, which is kind of silly, since she's 17 now.

What changed my mind about her? Well, I was trying to reassure her about the Reaping, that we'd be fine, and she whirled around and started screaming that she didn't need any comforting. Which is very odd, since Willow is a quiet, geeky girl. I don't know what set her off.

I stare at her. "What?"

She frowns. "You always do this! I don't need your help anymore, Cedar! I'm not a little girl!"

"Willow, I was just trying to he-"

"Yeah? Well stop. That's how you can help." She turns and stomps away.

I sit at the table, stunned. This is a side of Willow I've never seen. I always thought she adored me, because when we were younger, she did. I'm starting to realize that maybe she's forgotten about that. She resents me.

I guess it makes sense. I've always been popular and successful in school, I'm strong, and I help provide for our family. Willow is basically the opposite of all that.

My younger sister, Maple, looks at me. "What was that about?" She's 11. At least she still adores me.

I shrug. "Who knows? Willow's probably just worried." Maple smiles. I don't know why our parents gave us all the names of trees. Kinda cliche, if you ask me, since we live in District 7. If we do get reaped, which isn't likely, the Capitol will have a good laugh at that.

Willow doesn't come back before we have to leave for the Reaping. I assume she's gone ahead. Mom, Dad, Maple, and I all set off without her. She can catch up later.

~~~~

(Willow Haynes' POV)

I feel kind of bad for storming off like that, but I don't regret yelling at Cedar. I've always been living in his shadow. I hate having someone "protecting" me. And I can't be sorry that I finally told him.

I walk through the woods. This is where I always come to calm down. When I was younger, I would watch the loggers at work. Today, of course, everyone is at home, either sleeping or preparing for the Reaping this afternoon. I can be alone.

I kick a few pinecones around, then sit down on a stump that they haven't uprooted yet. Birds flit around in the trees above me, and squirrels and rabbits scamper around on the ground. How can it be so peaceful? Today, of all days, it should at least be raining.

The truth is, I'm not worried about getting reaped. I wouldn't care if we got reaped. I might cry a bit when Cedar died, but I think I could win. I'm strong, stronger than my family knows. And an added bonus: I'm smart.

I glance down at my watch. I'll be late if I don't hurry. I quickly get up and start running to the square. When I get there, I quickly hug Mom, Dad, and Maple, before joining the other 17 year old girls.

~~~~

(Edison Watt's POV)

I quickly grab the knife before Ayala can reach it. Ever since she tried to kill Mrs. Camworth, we've been extra careful about knives, and sharp objects in general.

Ayala glares at me, then flips her hair to show she doesn't care. "Edison, I'm over that. I'm not going to kill anyone! I promise!"

I ignore her. Ayala is psychotic. For twins, we couldn't be more different. Ayala is pure evil. If we get reaped, she would win from pure ruthlessness. A few times, she's actually tried to kill people around District 7. Luckily, she's never succeeded, and we've always been able to come up with an excuse. But people still cross the street to avoid her.

I, on the other hand, am really nice. I wouldn't hurt a fly, and Im always joking around and having fun. If I accidentally hurt someone, I apologize immediately. Ayala doesn't know the meaning of the word "apologize."

Mom sighs. "Ayala, you know we have to take precautions." Mom has slowly been losing it. Dad says it's happened since Ayala first showed her murderous instincts at two, when she tried to smother me with a pillow.

Ayala glares out the window and mutters something that sounds like, "I hope we get reaped." I roll my eyes.

Dad sets his book down. He's a teacher at school. "We need to hurry of we don't want to be late for the Reaping." He gets up, then helps my mother to her feet.

We live about a block away from the square, so it doesn't take long to walk there. I hug Mom and Dad goodbye, just in case. Ayala just stalks off to the 17 year old section.

After the mayor reads the Treaty of Treason, District 7's escort comes on stage and makes her annual speech about what an honor it is to be here. She disgusts me, which is hard to do. It's obvious that she finds us revulsive.

The escort, I can never remember her name, totters across the stage on her high heels and pulls a slip out of the ball. Then, she totters back to the microphone. Her neon blue hair is so distracting.

"The first pair of tributes who will have the honor of competing in the Fourth Quarter Quell are..." She unfolds the slip of paper. "Cedar and Willow Haynes."

I know Cedar, and Willow. Willow is in my class at school. I watch her stride confidently down to the stage, followed by her reluctant brother. A little girl, their sister, I think, starts crying.

"And how old are you two?" asks the escort.

"I am 17, and my brother Cedar is 18,"
Willow says. I have no idea where she's getting all this confidence from. Cedar is as white as a sheet.

The escort totters back and forth between the Reaping Ball yet again. "The next set of tributes is... Ayala and Edison Watt!"

I blink. No, no, no this can't be happening. I hear my mother start wailing. The world starts spinning. I have to snap out of it before I faint.

Luckily, a peace keeper grabs my arm, bringing me back to reality. I pull my arm away and walk up to the stage slowly. Ayala looks ecstatic. The Capitol will love murderous glint in her eye. I gulp and start up the stairs.