Reapings: District 8

(Lyra Alton's POV)

Cayden smiles me. "It'll be fine. I promise." I know he's trying to reassure me, but he doesn't sound very confident. I do my best to smile and pretend I'm reassured, though.

I quickly finish making breakfast - a small bowl of tesserae grain made into "oatmeal" each. It's not very tasty, but it's the best we can afford. Cayden and I both take out tesserae every year just to stay alive.

Ever since our parents died in a machine accident eight years ago, Cayden has taken on the responsibility of raising me. He's only a year older, but it seems like a bigger difference. He had to grow up faster, and wasn't about to let me do the same. He's done his best to make a living by dropping out of school and finding work at the textile factories. Most people know we live alone, even the peacekeepers, but people tend to ignore that fact. If they faced it, they'd lose a valuable worker known as my brother.

It's strange how different we are. We used to have a lot more in common. Now, I'm always smiling and happy and optimistic, and Cayden is serious and rarely smiles. It's strange how circumstances can change people like that.

"Lyra, how's school?" Cayden asks, obviously trying to lighten the mood.

I shrug. "Same as usual. Boring." After a pause, I ask, "How's work?"

He shrugs. "Haven't been fired, so good."

We sit in silence for the rest of the meal. It's impossible to focus on anything other than the imminent Reaping, anyway.

I hear the huge clock from the Justice Building clanging off the hour. Time to go. Cayden gives me a lopsided smile. "Let's go."

~~~~

(Sadie Wheeler's POV)

Chandler and I both hug Mom at the same time. We have to be careful, since she's currently very pregnant. The doctors say it's twins! Again!

Mom and Dad have been trying to have another child since Chandler and I were five and started praying to God for a sibling every night. After seven years of waiting, our dreams are finally coming true, it seems.

I can't wait to play with the babies. I really hope they're girls, and Chandler really hopes they're boys, and Dad says he "really hopes they're quieter than you two."

I've convinced myself that there's no way we could get reaped. There are at least 50 eligible pairs of siblings at our school alone. Multiply that by the five schools in our district, and you get very good odds. As the children of the mayor, Chandler and I haven't even taken out tesserae. We only have our names in there twice, since we're twelve.

Dad stands in front of the mirror in the hall and straitens his tie. "How do I look?" he asks me.

I giggle. "Perfect."

Chandler looks nervous. "What if we get reaped?"

Mom purses her lips. "Let's not think like that, all right?"

I nod. "Anyway, the odds of us getting picked are 500 to 2, and that's not even including tesserae." Dad beams at me. He's always saying how proud he is of me. I plan on being District 8's first female mayor when I grow up.

"Your sister's right, Chand. You'll be fine." Dad claps Chandler on the back. He then glances at his watch. "Looks like it's time for us to go. You two ready?" We both nod, and follow him out the door, waving goodbye to our mother. She smiles and waves back.

I grab Dad's hand and skip along next to him. Chandler is a Mommy's boy, I am a Daddy's girl. It works out perfectly. Another thing that works out perfectly is that we're best friends. On the impossible chance that we do get reaped, I know we'll both do everything we can to keep the other person alive.

When we get to the square, Dad kisses my head and hugs Chandler, then heads towards the stage. We make our way to the twelve-year-old section. We will have to be on opposite sides of the square, since Im a girl and Hes a boy, but until it starts, we stand in the middle and wait. Finally, a peacekeeper asks us to return to our spots, and we promptly obey.

Dad reads the Treaty of Treason, then Annaleah Hedrow, the escort, steps up to the mic and babbles about how happy she is to be here, and how excited she is for the Quarter Quell. Finally, she takes a slip and reads it.

"Cayden and Lyra Alton!" I don't recognize those names. An older girl and boy make their way to the stage. They both look like they're in a daze, and it takes the boy a few seconds to respond with their ages. Annaleah smiles and gushes about how honored they must be, then draws the next slip.

"Chandler and Sadie Wheeler!" I hear a gasp, and realize I was the one gasping. The color drains out of my dad's face, onstage.

As I walk to the aisle, I see Chandler, who looks very pale. I reach out for his hand. He squeezes mine. "We'll be ok. I promise," he whispers. I nod, and take a breath. We start up the steps together, heads held high.