Chapter 14

Allison

Earlier today, I was sitting in my hotel room moping like always after what happened between Danny and me last week, but I wasn't going to let it show to everyone else, my phone starts to ring, and I pick it up

"Hey, Allie bear! Guess what!" excitement in her tone. "hmmm, they'll stop putting pineapple on pizza?" saying it teasingly since it's her favorite, and I wanted to mock a bit.

"Hey, you take that back, meanie, or I won't tell you the gender of your godchild!" she says. "Oh, oh, I'm sorry! Put all the pineapple you want on a pizza, best friend!" I say with eagerness, "that's right, you guys had your anatomy scan today! What did they say!!" I asked, excited in tone.

"Well, we made a wager; what do you think they are he? or she?" she asks me curiously on the other line.

"I don' care. I just want it to be healthy, but my grandma said there is an old wives tale saying that when you crave sweets, it would be a girl and you been an honorary member of all the donut shops in the city along with the ice cream shops, so I'm thinking girl" I say with a chuckle.

I hear her laughing on the other line, "my mom and Dave's mom said the same thing, and there must be some truth in it because we are having a baby girl! I just got off the phone with Dave, and I can only imagine how pale he is. He really thought it was going to be a boy he could play sports with and not have to deal with chasing hormonal teenage boys away, but that's life," she laughs.

I smile brightly, and I start to cheer. I can imagine how beautiful she will be, and I'm sure Dave is now worried as hell when she becomes a teenager. She was right to think that David could currently be sitting in his hotel room staring at the wall, trying to figure out ammo prices in 14 years.

"That's great, Jen. She will be so spoiled, and I will be the cool Aunt for sure!! What about names? Allison is a great one," I say and smile as I hear her chuckling on the other side of the line. "well, it is a great name, but we are not sure yet when you guys come back from the road, we will throw a baby shower, and gender reveal only our parents know and you godmother!" she chirps.

"Anyway, how is your first road game trip with the team? everything going good?" curiosity in her tone, and I can sense her fishing for something specific "ahh, it's not too busy. Thankfully, no one really got hurt, so I'm just honestly watching free hockey games" chuckling "we did a little sightseeing today and then had lunch out with some of the coaches and their assistants everyone is doing great. "Everyone? Are you sure about that? I saw last night's game," her tone changing.

"Don't even start Jen, I already told you what I'm going to do; I am going to have control of my life, no distractions, and just living for me, remember?" I try to say convincingly. Sighs can be heard through the line.

"I understand, Allie bear, but you aren't living for you; you are living scared and running away from what might seem scary there is a difference; I wouldn't even be mad at you if you were being selfish about your happiness, but I can tell you are not genuinely happy instead you are only trying to convince yourself you are" Jen stated with a caring tone.