7. Curiosity

Kirsten

I was at Jamie's house shooting around with her

I was at Jamie's house shooting around with her. We had a game coming up on Monday and we both are the only seventh graders starting. I want it to stay that way.

"So, is your dad coming to the game Monday?" She asked, shooting a jumper. It swished as it went thru the bottom of the net.

"Uh, yeah. My mom doesn't know if she'll make it. She doesn't get off til 5 and with traffic and all."

"Dang that's crazy. I wish my real dad would come. It would be epic."

I laughed at the fact that she used the word epic. It was so 2012. "Please don't even use epic again."

"Shut up," she laughed, passing me the ball. "Your boyfriend uses that word all the time."

I rolled my eyes knowing exactly who she was talking about. Ishmael Sanders. He's an eight grader and he likes me. "Oh please, he's stupid and probably couldn't count to ten using his own two hands."

"Deadddddddd," she screamed, followed by laughter. "Okay, you're right but he's planning on asking you to the dance."

"I'm not going."

"Uh, yes you are! We said we would go Izzy," she whined, calling me by my nickname at school. We had two Kirsten's in our class so I go by my middle name Isabella, Izzy for short.

"I know but I haven't asked and do you not know who my dad is? He'd lock me in my room if I even mentioned going with a boy."

She sighed, sitting down on the basketball. "Well what if you ask to stay here that night and my mom takes us."

I looked at her like she was crazy. "Uhhhh, how bout we don't and say we didn't. My dad is Sherlock Holmes. He knows EVVERRYYTHINGGGG!" I exaggerated.

"Childish."

"I know. But he looking out fa me. He's-"

"Hey! What you girls doing?" Ms. Nicole came outside to where we were sitting. She had on a sports bra, yoga pants and sneakers. I mentally rolled my eyes. She's always coming around tryna be hip, like can she not. So irritating.

"Nothing," Jamie said, scooting over a little to let her sit down. I slid the other way. "So, what were you two chatting about?" She asked, slapping her hand on her knees.

"Nunya," I mumbled, but she ain hear me.

"Nothing. The dance. I wanna go but Izzy doesn't."

"Awww. I remember my first dance. Why you don't wanna go Izzy?"

"It's Kirsten and because I haven't asked my mom."

"If you want, I can talk to her for you. Convince her to let you go."

I bit down on my bottom lip, to prevent me from saying something I shouldn't say. "Well I'll ask her first, then if she says no, maybe I'll have my dad convince her."