29. See You Again

Omniscient

"Slow down Izzy," Leah said, glancing over at the speedometer. She was going sixty-five in a sixty. Leah knew that it wasn't much of a gap but when you're a beginner's driver, you have to learn how to balance your speed. Kirsten was doing good so far, using her signal lights when switching lanes and keeping her hands at ten and two or nine and three.

"Sorry," she mumbled, taking her foot off the gas a bit.

"Don't be baby. It's trial and error. You're doing great."

She looked over at Leah and smiled before focusing back on the road. "Thanks mommy. I think we should talk about what kind of car I'm getting for my sweet 16."

Leah bust out laughing, looking at her daughter crazy. "Lil nigga you not even fourteen yet. You gotta long way to go."

"I'm just make long term goals like you asked," Kirsten laughed, turning up the radio a bit. Leah allowed it, but kept her attention on Kirsten and the road.

As they approached the exit towards their home, Kirsten applied the brakes to slow her speed. As she exited the ramp, an SUV rammed into the back of their car.

"Mom!"

"What the hell?" Leah questioned, looking back. The SUV continued to accelerate, pushing their car forward.

"Hit the brakes Kirsten!"

Kirsten tapped the brakes repeatedly with her foot but it didn't work. She turned the wheel, trying to avoid hitting another car. "Aghh!! There not working!!"

Leah undid her seatbelt, reaching over and pushing Kirsten's foot into the brakes. Still nothing. She grabbed Kirsten's seatbelt, pulling it all the way out until it locked before letting it go. She made sure it was secure and tight across her chest for impact. She knew that this was no accident.

"Momma I'm scared."

"I know sweetie but you have to be brave for me. I want you to give it some gas and make a hard right, okay?"

"B-but."

"Kirsten, trust me."

She slowly nodded as she put her foot on the gas accelerating before making a hard right like her mother said. "Lord watch over my family," Leah mumbled as she pulled the emergency brake, making the car spin before crashing into wall. On impact, the airbag came full force, knocking her unconscious.

-

"What do we got?" A nurse asked as the EMTs rushed both Kirsten and Leah through the emergency doors. Kirsten was in and out of consciousness while Leah was still unresponsive.

"Two females mother and daughter. Car accident. Daughter has a concussion, broken leg and a few broken ribs. Mother's Bp is 160/100. Her breathing is stable but she still isn't conscious." The took both women into emergency surgery as officer Breedlove and Bradley arrived.

"What do we have here?"

"Car accident that wasn't an accident. Daughter said that someone ran into the back of them and off the road." The EMT handed over the ID's they found on them, making Bradley mouth somewhat drop.

"It's never their fault," Breedlove mumbled sarcastically. He looked at Bradley funny, wondering what had him at awe.

"Recognize her?"

He grabbed the ID and read it to himself.

KyLeah Staten
4713 West Blvd