30. Epilogue

Excuse mistakes

5 years later

Kirsten

"It's been a long dayyyy, without you my friend. And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again. We come alooonnngggg wayyy, from where we began. Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again, when I see you agaiinn," I sang into the mic at my high-school graduation. I stood at the podium looking out at my classmates along with our family and friends. I never thought this day would come.

"Hello family, friends, and fellow classmates and welcome to the Class of 2016's farewell celebration. I'm this years class valedictorian, Kirsten Isabella Love-Staten." A few whistles circulated the auditorium.

"Now is the time to start your life. To make new friends and maybe even keep the old ones. It's a time to make mistakes over and over again. That's how we learn and that's how we grow. My mom once told me that life is all about lessons. Some good and some bad and if she were here today, she'd definitely be proud of me. To my fellow classmates, I say, dream big and aim high ! As Pac said, Keep Ya Head Up and in the words of Biggie Smalls, 'The Sky is the Limit'. Be amazingly proud of yourselves cause we did it. We made it. Now we are now starting a new race in life. Go be Great!"

The auditorium roared with cheers and yells as we through our caps in the air. It was a bittersweet moment. I'm happy as hell to be graduating but I'm sure as hell gonna miss this place.

As I exited the stage, Braelyn met me with open arms. I squatted down and embraced my little brother. I think he was more excited for me than I was for myself. This last 5 years have been hell but we made it work.

"I love you Kirsten."

"Love you too Brae Brae. Let's go find dad." I grabbed his hand and we maneuvered through the crowd looking for the family. I got a lot of 'congratulations' and 'great speech' for people in passing.

"Kirsten!! Over here!" My dad yelled, causing me to look to my left. There he was with Maddie, Randy and my grandparents all of them smiling from ear to ear. We walked over to them and Maddie gave me the biggest hug.

"I'm so proud of you little Laddie. I know you're mom would be too." She kissed my forehead and let go. I know it's hard on everyone and it doesn't make it any better that I look just like my mother. I miss her so much.

"Alright. Alright. Let's get out of here. Traffic gon be hell and we gotta beat this bad ass chirren that's coming over for this party," pops said, rounding everybody up. I still can't believe he agreed to the party but I'm not gon questioned it. Let's roll out.

***

I hadn't shown my hair in over 5 years. It was always in a ball, or a ponytail or a bun. I chose to keep it hidden because it reminded me of my momma. It's scary how much I look like her. I looked in the mirror to see Ishmael staring at me. I turned around to face him, leaning back on the counter.

"Aren't you gonna say something?"

"Say what?"

"I don't know. Something. Don't just stare at me."

"But I always stare at you. I don't see the problem."

"My hair...."

"Do you like it?"

"Yes, bu-"

"Then I love it. No buts. It's your hair and you do what you want with it," he laughed, walking towards me. He wrapped his arms around my waist, squeezing me, before kissing my neck.

"I love you."

"I love you too Izzy."

"Kirsten, dad sai- oowwww. Your hair big," Brae said, stopping dead in his tracks. We laughed, his face was priceless.