9 - Life of the Fallen

I punch the punching bag quickly and strongly, not caring about anything but releasing my anger. My body aches from my fight against the demons, but that doesn't stop me from throwing punch after punch. I am enraged at Jace, and I am done. From here on out, Maelys Wayland is on her own. No brother, no family, no one but me.

I grunt as I continue to punch at the bag and I hear footsteps approach me, but I don't look. My focus is on getting rid of my fury.

"Maelys, what was that?" Izzy's voice fills my ears.

"I think it's pretty obvious. He means nothing to me." I snap as my punches grow stronger due to my anger growing too.

"He's you're brother. You can't just cut him off." She says. I look at her with rage burning in my eyes.

"He left me for dead, Izzy! We got ambushed by a horde of demons and he left me. I should be dead." I shout. Izzy's eyes widen and I return my glare back onto the punch bag. I grunt as I throw a series of punches at it, growing faster and stronger with each hit.

"Mae, you're going to hurt yourself. Please just stop for a minute." My parabatai pleads and I laugh dryly.

"I'm already hurt. This feels like nothing." I say continuing to punch. She falls silent as she watches release my anger, but the silence is soon ruined by someone else joining us.

"Maelys, can we talk?" A small voice asks. I don't look up I just keep punching.

"What do you want, red?" I ask in an angry tone. She hesitates for a moment, but she quickly takes a deep breath and starts talking.

"I just wanted to say thank you for helping us. Jace thought you weren't going to come because you weren't answering his calls-" She starts but I stop her.

"Don't thank me for doing my job. I wasn't doing it for you and I certainly wasn't doing it for my brother. If you haven't noticed, I'm not really fond of either of you." I spit as I slam my fists against the bag.

"Mae." Izzy says in a warning tone.

"Your brother?" Clary questions.

"Jace and Maelys are twins." Izzy tells her.

"Were. He is completely and royally dead to me." I say in anger and I throw more and more punches.

"I didn't realise you two are brother and sister." Clary says quietly, but I still catch it over my grunts. I throw another punch before turning to stare at her. She looks at me with a slight hint of guilt behind her eyes, and that's when I figure her out. Her side glares, her dislike to me, it all makes sense now. I laugh dryly as I shake my head at her.

"It all makes sense now. All along I thought you were happy to have Jace on your side because you were a spy for Valentine. But in reality, it's because you thought I was your competition." I say with a laugh. I walk towards her slowly, and I can see her start to panic as my furious demeanour stops right in front of her. "Well, don't worry, red. Jace picked you over the last of his family. You win." I hiss. Izzy watches me closely to make sure I don't do anything. But I won't hurt Clary, not yet at least. She might have stirred the pot, but she didn't cause it to bubble over. That's all on Jace's shoulders.

I glare at her for a second longer before walking away. I am in need of a long shower. I walk a bit further but stop when I see Maryse storming towards me. My mission. I hadn't done my mission.

"Maelys! I asked one thing from you and you disobeyed. Where the hell have you been?" She snaps as she looks at me with anger.

"I'm sorry, I was preoccupied. I'll head out right now." I say causing her to scoff.