3 - Saving the Mundie

The Institute doors fly open as Clary, Jace, Izzy and Alec march through. I hang back growing more and more tired by the second. I was sent out on mission to destroy the Demon den in the early hours of yesterday morning. And I've only managed to get those couple of minutes or hours of sleep before heading out to find Dot. And now we've lost Simon. Seems like I won't be getting a good nights rest tonight. Alec was right before, I really shouldn't have been excited.

"I still don't understand. How can shadowhunters be better than, than what you call mundanes?" Clary asks marching into the heart of the Institute.

"Because we protect humans," Izzy replies. Clary stops walking.

"You're right," She says turning to face us. "Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van, great job guys. You rock."

"Give it a rest, Red," I sigh walking away from the group. I've had more than enough of this night.

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense," Alec says as he walks after me. I smile slightly. He has always had my back.

"Look they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out," Jace says trying to calm her down. "They want the Cup, and they think you have it."

"But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, 'Oh, by the way, there's this magic Cup, I hid on, like, the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone.'" Clary says clearly frustrated. They begin to follow me and Alec further into the Institute. I start to head towards my room, wanting to get away from everyone, at least just for a second, but Alec grabs my arm forcing me to face him.

"How did the Vamps know you?" He asks quietly, not wanting to involve any of the others in our conversation.

"They don't," I simply say, shrugging his grasp off me.

"You sure about that, Lys?" He says using putting emphasis on the nickname Raphael had used. I glare at him, not the same one I have used against him before. A much harsher one, sending daggers at him. Him using that name to me infuriates me, it belittles me and brings me back to the time I was weak. That's how the Vampires had used that nickname months ago. I can't blame him because he doesn't know what really happened, he will never know.

"Don't you ever call me that again," I hiss at him with a harsh expression. His face softens immediately as he realises the affect the name has caused me, however he still looks at me as if he is searching for answers. I look at him a moment longer before storming away towards my room.

"Where are you going? We have to find Simon!" Clary yells after me.

"Then go find him," I snap back, anger consuming my voice.

"We don't need her," Jace says to Clary.

"Yes we do," Alec snaps at him forcing me to turn and face the group. "I'm not going to let you dismiss our best fighter." My anger immediately leaves me after listening to Alec defend me against my brother. Clary looks at me a moment before sighing.

"I don't doubt that she's the best, and the best is what we need to get Simon back," She says slowly as if admitting it pained her. I look at them all a moment and groan.

"She's not the best," Jace mutters quietly.

"Awh, gee, thanks, Red," I say sarcastically ignoring my twin. I reach for my Stele and run it over my rune sending a wave of energy through me. If I'm gonna be fighting a clan of Vampires, I sure as hell don't need to be sleeping on the job.

"Where is he, anyway? Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?" Clary asks turning to Jace returning to their previous conversation. We gather around a table and I take a seat at the head of it, bringing my feet up and relaxing into my chair.