10 - Forsaken Dreams

I walk into the Institute after a quick mission to kill some demons. I'm kind of glad to be going back to the solo missions where I'm just killing demons. It's a good distraction from what happened to Simon however, I still can't help but hate myself for not doing more.

I put my Seraph Blade away and head towards the computers to write my report, but I feel myself stop when I see Magnus walking towards me. Why is he here? He stops in front of me and smiles which confuses me.

"Well, hello, Peanut." He says and my eyebrow rises.

"Peanut?" I ask. His smile slips ever so slightly to allow a smirk to replace it.

"You're not one for nicknames?" He questions. I shrug and shake my head.

"No, I guess Peanut works." I say and walk past him towards the computers. I sense him following so I continue our conversation. "So, what brings you to the Institute?" I ask.

"Your little loverboy brought in a Forsaken and he wanted me to see if there was any magic involved." He says as he looks at the folder he's holding. I roll my eyes and look over my shoulder at him.

"Firstly, I do not have a 'loverboy'. Secondly, there was a Forsaken attack?" I ask.

"Yes, apparently it paid Lucian's wolf pack a visit." He says. "It isn't like the other Forsaken I've seen, it's been tampered with." My eyebrows knit together and I turn to him completely. My arms cross over my chest as I look at the Warlock.

"Who would want to do that?" I ask. I pause and blink a couple of times when the realization dawns on me. "Valentine." I mutter with a sigh.

"It looks like it." He says and I turn back to the computers to start work. There is a brief silence and it's because I assume our conversation is over. However, Magnus stays by my side and starts speaking again.

"Were you aware about Alec's parents finding him a wife?" He asks. My body tenses as my fingers hover over the screen and I keep my gaze straight ahead.

"I overheard a conversation, not that it matters." I say as my arms start moving again. He sighs and places a hand on my arm which stops my movements.

"I was there when his memory came out and I can tell that you feel the same way." He says gently. I look at him unsure about what to say. I'm not sure I like him knowing my feelings, I don't like anyone being able to see through me that easily.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I say as I turn to look at him with a cold stare. His features soften which isn't the response I thought I'd receive. Why isn't he backing off?

"You can lie to others, but don't lie to yourself." He says as he rubs my arm slightly before removing his hand. "You should know that I saw Alexander heading to the training room. He didn't look happy." Magnus says. He hands me the autopsy findings before walking away. My lips part as I watch him walk away and my head naturally turns towards the training room. Alec's upset?

I walk towards the training room and as soon as I get close I can hear the sound of fists slamming against something. I turn to corner and I see Alec hitting a punching bag at a rapid pace. Sweat covers his bare chest and I feel myself staring for a moment before I remember that there's something bothering him.

"Hey, you okay?" I ask as I watch him closely. He stops punching and turns to me. He pants as his eyes meet mine and we look at one another in silence for a long second. I feel my gaze drop to his chest involuntarily, but I quickly look away not wanting him to see me staring. He walks towards his jacket and puts it on before looking at me again.

"Magnus gave me the autopsy reports. I'm assuming you'll want these." I say as I hand him the folder. He hesitantly takes it and raises a brow at me.