24 - Emotional Damage

"So, to recap to ensure that I have everything correct. Alec delved into his Parabatai rune using a stone Jocelyn provided to find Jace, but is now trapped in the bond. And in response, you brought a Warlock into the Institute to try and wake him, but it hasn't worked because Alec needs his Parabatai, needs Jace, to wake. Did I miss anything?"

Aldertree stands behind his desk, a deep scowl on his face as he looks down to me sat in the chair opposite. I can't tell whether he's angry about the part I played, or the fact this all happened without him realising. I've discovered that it's been a whole twenty four hours now since Alec got stuck in the bond, and apparently Raj has been trying to find me that whole time. They thought I ran, yet here I remain. And I'm struggling to tell what annoys Aldertree more. That I let a Warlock in without him realising, or that Raj had failed to check Alec's bedroom.

"No, that is correct."

As soon as I walked through Aldertree's office door ten minutes ago, Raj had been summoned. And almost instantly he was sent to watch over Magnus. I'm just praying that the bastard isn't giving Magnus grief.

"You should have informed me of this sooner. You should have asked to bring Magnus into the Institute. Instead, you snuck him in, knowing it was against rules. Are you trying to give me an excuse to take your runes?" Aldertree seethes.

My hands shake on my lap and I reply, "I'll be honest, there were no thoughts. I saw Alec have a seizure and I needed someone to heal him. I phoned Magnus and he came. I didn't sneak him in, I didn't even move for what I'm sure were hours. He arrived and he's been doing everything he can for Alec since."

"And why is it I find you here now?" He asks and I can hear the how unconvinced he is.

"I want Alec to have the best help he can get, and I hope you do, too. So," I take a breath, not needing to act about how scared I feel right now. "I'm here to beg you to allow Magnus to stay, allow him to help Alec."

I don't think I've begged as much as I have these past twenty four hours. But I don't care about holding onto my pride. Alec is all I care about. Aldertree watches me closely; maybe he's trying to figure out if this is all a trick, a clever play to do one on him. But he must see how genuine my plea is because he releases a heavy sigh and sinks into his seat.

"He can stay with Raj keeping an eye. But I'm not happy. Alec went against my orders, I ordered him off the hunt for Jace, yet here we find ourselves."

"Thank you," I breathe as if I was holding my breath. "Thank you." I have to cup my face as tears leave my eyes. I don't want Aldertree to see me cry, that's a new low I'm not ready to hit.

"Don't thank me yet," Aldertree says. I wipe my eyes before I lift my gaze to him. His face remains stern. He is beyond pissed. "I believe that you want the best for Alec, but I have told you before: I can't trust you. And I don't trust that you will be truthful if Jace does appear."

"So... what does that mean?" I ask quietly.

"I think it is best for you to remain away from them. That way you won't be tempted to do anything that will cost you your runes."

My stomach drops and panic hits me harder than his words. He wants me to remain away from Alec when he could slip away at any point. He wants me to stay away and risk his final moments. Tears well in my eyes again as I stare at Aldertree.

"Please," my voice trembles, "please let me stay with him. I-I won't move from his side, I won't speak with anyone. Please, just... let me stay with him."

Aldertree purses his lips as he watches me break before him. But he shakes his head and says, "I'm sorry, Maelys. But I can't allow that. You will remain in your room until I say otherwise. If I find you elsewhere, you will be deruned. Do I make myself clear?"