Jeggy - Winter's Here! (Modern AU)

The foggy, crispy air slapped Peggy in the face as she tried to hide from the cold. Wow, she thought, New York really is bipolar. Back in Albany, everything was much different than here in Manhattan. She laughed to herself thinking about Laurens, her boyfriend whom she'd been dating for months. He absolutely despised the cold.

Peggy made her way back to her dorm. She was majoring in dance, specifically jazz. It suited her well. She always had to make sure she was up to date because King's College offered a rigorous and extremely strict dance program. KNOCK! KNOCK! Peggy pounded at the door. No answer.

"Theo? Eliza? Angie? Anybody in there?" She pounded harder. Did they not leave the door open? I told them to do that! I left my key in there! With no response, she stuck her hand under the door, seeing if she could reach anything inside. No use, she thought to herself. These dorms were top security, and they couldn't be easily broken. Peggy let out a sigh. What would she do now? Her roommates wouldn't be back until Monday because of their weekend trip.

Peggy took out her phone calling the one person who could help her. He's locked himself out of a room before. And you can't say no to me--I'm all that and a bag of chips.

"John?"

"Yes, my sunny girlfriend?"

Peggy blushed at hearing him call her that, even over the phone. "I...might have left my key in my dorm. Help!"

Laurens burst into hooting and laughter. "You MIGHT HAVE left your key in the dorm?! MIGHT HAVE?! Girl, you either did or you didn't. Did you lock yourself out?"

"All right. I did! Now hurry up, please. Angie, Eliza, and Theo are all on a weekend nature retreat with Evan Hansen as the tour guide. I'd have come with them, but he limits himself to ten per tour since he gets overwhelmed if there are more. All of them brought their dates, John, Alex, and Aaron, so that made six. There are four more, too, so... Anyway, so that I'm not left out, they're sending pictures of the most amazing trees, but I can't enjoy looking at them if I'm LOCKED OUT!"

"I'm on my way, Peggy!"

A few minutes pass before Laurens arrives. Peggy runs over to him in relief. "Thank God you're here!" Peggy steps back and allows him to do his work. She observes the wrench as it twists the knob and wonders if this was illegal. He reads her mind and responds.

"You can't be arrested for breaking into your own dorm." That caused Peggy to giggle uncontrollably.

The door finally budges open, and Peggy wraps her arms around his shoulder. "Thank you so much! I don't know what I would have done without you!"

"You would probably be dying from the cold right now, but no big deal." He says, a smirk emerging on his face.

Peggy playfully smacked his arm. "Whatever!"

"Hey! We should go outside! It's so snowy! Perfect conditions for us to play in, and then we can get a cup of hot cocoa."

"No! Too cold!"

"Too cold'? You've endured the cold this long. It's small potatoes!"

"All right! Only for you though."