Hamliza - Warm Morning Coffee (Modern AU)

Eliza was sleeping lightly in her bed and Alexander was making her usual coffee. Half and half, just how she liked it. As the coffee brewed, the sun slowly rose. He poured the final product into a mug and placed it onto the counter.

"Good morning," a quiet voice spoke. Eliza sleepily walked up to him, planting a kiss on his cheek.

Alexander absent-mindedly drank from the mug. He needed his energy for his next op-ed in the town newspaper, and having stayed up all night the previous night to research the topic and formulate an opinion, he was in dire need of an energy boost.

"Hey! That's my mug!"

"Oops...I'll make another one..." he admitted sheepishly.

"No, no," Eliza replied. "Get some rest! You were up to twelve doing that research."

"Two, actually."

"And you woke up before sunrise to make me this coffee," she continued. Eliza was extremely grateful, but it didn't change the fact that she was concerned for his well-being.

"Yes..."

"Get some rest!" she admonished him.

"All right..."

"You heard me. Get your tired butt in bed now and sleep for once."

"But come back to bed with me! I'll sleep faster that way," he playfully asked.

She conceded. After making herself another cup of coffee to replace the one her husband just drank, she walked up the steps with him. "There," she told him as she handed him the blanket. "You can sleep now." It felt like he was asleep for the first time in days as soon as his head hit the pillow. She watched him sleep with a contented smile on her face. "Love you," she happily whispered.