Hercia - Never Thought I'd Be Wanted (Modern AU)

CW: mentions of abuse

It was a rainy night, and Maria was desperate. There was nowhere else for her to turn, and she knew getting help was a long shot, but she pushed through the cold to the tall, imposing apartment, signed in quickly, and took the elevator up to the 7th floor. She ran to the end of the hallway, stood in front of the door to apartment 7D, and hesitantly reached a trembling hand out for the doorbell, staring down at her feet worriedly.

The door unlocks with a click! Hercules opens the door looking at a drenched Maria. Without question, he immediately pulls her inside.

"What happened to you?" he asked, seeing how cold she was and going to his closet to get her a blanket. Maria broke out into immediate sobs. Her wails were quiet, like a mourning dove cooing, almost.

"H-how could I b-be so WORTHLESS!"   More sobs escaped from her, growing harsher and louder, and she was a quivering leaf. It broke him to see her shattered into pieces like this. "Why can't I just be loved? What's wrong with me?"

Hercules wiped the tears from her eyes, making her look at him. "Well, I love you."

Maria was taken aback. "That...that...no. It can't...can't be..."

"Why would I lie to you?"

"It can't...You couldn't...No one can...I am DAMAGED!"

"Shh...shh...no, you aren't..." He rubbed her back soothingly, but she flinched, recoiling and softly whimpering as soon as he touched her.

"It hurts," she told him, her eyes welling up again. "Please, don't."

"James? He hits you?" he asked in a concerned tone. She nodded.

"Maybe," she finally said, pulling up her sleeves and revealing various injuries hidden beneath them, "I am just not enough." There was no emotion in her voice, just bitter, harsh resignation.

"That's not true. You're enough for me. Whatever happened is in the past now, and it's gonna get better." Maria stared at him in disbelief. How could he say these things? Can't he see it?

He takes her hands, holding them delicately in fear of hurting her. This time, Maria let him. She looked tired as she curled up beside him.

"You want to sleep now?" he asked.

"Not now or at all. How do I begin to explain what I see when there should be nothing to see? That I ponder of something terrifying when I am safe? That--" she paused, struggling to breathe for a few seconds--"I might not be safe here at all. He'll find me. He'll find me, and--"

"Shh...shh...I'm ready to protect you if it gets to that point," he reassured her. "Go sleep. If it's too hard for you, I'll be there."

"Thank you. I never thought anyone could want me...not since James came and ruined my world, turned it into a dark, upside-down battle zone where every step was a minefield. You showed me that someone is out there for me, willing to come running, to take me home, and not let go. Thank you." Then she fell asleep peacefully in his embrace.

What does it mean to be broken? She wondered before drifting off. It means you just need to heal and allow someone to help you through your sorrow.

She was glad that she remembered that tonight.