Chrysanthemums [Draco Malfoy x Potter!Reader]

credit to toriwakes on Tumblr \\\ Honestly this one made me so soft its one of my many many favs of this book 

summary: you've lived in america for the past 15 years of your life. then, everything changed with one letter.

content warnings: very light cursing. some angst (?)

everyone in america knew about harry potter. even though voldemort was a criminal in another country, americans felt just as worried. when the news got out, everyone was all over you. '(y/n) potter! are you related to him?' you didn't know the answer. but it was most likely not, right?

you sat next to your best friends, wishing them a good morning. "want to go pick up the mail?" lena asked. you nodded. the three of you walked down the halls, giggling and gossiping. "what're you doing for halloween, (y/n)?" gina asked. you shrugged. "dunno. probably nothing. why?" she let out a dramatic gasp. "you've gotta come to this party! please don't miss it, it's gonna be amazing!" you laughed at her and turned the corner, entering the mail room. "i'll think about it." she made a face and you all separated to open your mail boxes. you flipped through your letters- nothing special. then something caught your eye. a parchment envelope with a burgundy wax seal. "guys?" your two friends rushed over. "what?" the said in unison. with a shaky hand, you lifted up the letter. "holy." "shit."

it was settled. you were moving to london and going to hogwarts. you were not keen on the idea at all, but the albus dumbledore demanded you be there. no witch could just say no. right now you were at the station, watching as hundreds of witches and wizards staggered around. "why'd you have to go before halloween?" gina sighed. you pouted. "i'll write to you both once a week. i'll tell you everything." "yeah, you better!" lena teased. then you were met with anna. anna was your care taker. she wasn't related to you but she cared for you since you didn't have any connections to your family. you were told that your parents died in a car crash and they were both only children, so you had no aunts or uncles. poor circumstances, but that was your life. "i'm gonna miss you." you said it quickly, afraid you may cry if you spoke too slow. "i'll miss you too." she was already crying. "now go, everyones already on." you hugged them and waved goodbye before boarding the train.

you didn't know anyone here. you shuffled to the back of the train and tried not to make yourself stand out too much. you walked back as far as you could and found yourself in a dark section of the train with empty booths. you smiled and sat down, pulling out your book that you brought along. you were daydreaming of lena and gina when you heard footsteps. when you shifted your gaze to the doorway, you jaw almost dropped. a tall (yet skinny) pale boy stood there. he along with two beefy men didn't pay any mind to you. you hoped they wouldn't notice you, but you were the only one there, it was unlikely they wouldn't. they actually all got situated and you thought you were in the clear- until someone else came in. "i saw the saint on the way in. almost puked." a brunette girl in all black clothes joked. they all laughed. "how was everyone's- oh?" she saw you. the three boys looked at you, eyebrows furrowed. "hello, i've never seen you." she spoke softly and say in front of you. "yeah. i'm new, it's nice to meet you." you stuck out your hand for a handshake. "american? that's cute. i'm pansy." she took your hand and you smiled. "pansy, that's a pretty name. like the flower?" she didn't say anything. you cleared your throat awkwardly. "i'm (y/n)." she smiled as a response. "would you three stop being so rude? introduce yourselves!" she was referring to the three boys. the blonde one stood up first. "malfoy." he said curtly. you gave him a friendly smile. he didn't return it. "goyle. that's crabbe. he doesn't talk much." crabbe gave you a smile that you gladly returned. "come sit with us."

for the next hour or so you bonded with your three new friends. pansy did most of the talking, goyle occasionally dropping in. draco didn't speak too much but you could tell he was listening. every time he did, however, your ears got hot and you felt warm. he was very cute, but you didn't know him like that. "the trolly is passing. (y/n), if i gave you some galleons would you get us some snacks? anything is fine." you nodded, but were mildly confused. what the fuck are galleons? "pansy, she's american. she doesn't know what galleons are." draco said. "oh- that's right. go with her then." pansy suggested. you took the gold coins from pansy and stood, draco following you. "hello! anything from the trolly?" the kind old woman asked. you picked out the thinks that look the nicest, draco talking the coins from your hand and giving them to the woman. you ignored the race in your heart when his hand touched yours. "did you get that?" he asked. you nodded. "you don't speak too much, do you." it wasn't really a question. as you were about to answer, you made eye contact with a boy with very round glasses. could it be harry? draco noticed this and ushered you forward. "don't talk to him." just wait till they found out about your last name...