Prologue

~Prologue~

"He is truly a beautiful child, your majesty,"

"That he is," Lady Irwin smiled down fondly at her son, her first and only child.

It took her and her husband many sorrowful years to finally conceive a child, and she was grateful that she has been blessed with this baby, miracle that he was.

She took a moment to really look at the babe.

He was very small, but his legs were long. She thought he was going to be tall when he grew up, a good quality for a king to possess. His wide, innocent eyes went back and forth between green and brown, depending on his mood. When he was happy, they shone gold. Little tiny dimples graced his chubby cheeks when he shrieked with happiness, and golden curls sat atop his round head. The Queen knew he would be striking when he grew up.

"May I, your majesty?" His nurse asked, holding out her hands for the baby as he began fussing. Time for a change. The queen handed him over, looking out at the guests. She wanted to host a party for the baby to welcome him to the society in which he would one day rule over. Many of her friends and other ladies of the ton had gathered for a small luncheon to see the babe and wish the queen well. Mountains of presents had been set on a table at the entrance of the Grand Hall. Tables and chairs covered in pale blue satin were spread around for guests, as well as a long food table piled high with goodies. It truly was a grand affair. Nothing less would be expected or accepted for the new Prince.

"So, what shall his name be, Anne?" one of the queens close friends asks. The Duchess of Salisbury had long been Anne's friend since she was a child. They had attended primary school together and entered their first season at the same time. The girls also had fought for the attention of the prince, but Anne had won, causing a small rift between the two until the Duke had gone and fixed that up quickly.

Every ear in the room perked up at the question. It instantly becomes quiet, the talk and tinkling laughter ceasing. Plates and tea cups were set down as every eye was fixed on the queen.

She smiled charmingly and looks out at the crowd.

"He shall be called His Royal Highness, The Prince of Eastover, Ashton Fletcher Irwin."

Polite cheers and applause sounded at her decree. A couple of Anne's friends who were seated beside her giggled daintily at her happiness. Naming her son and announcing it was one of the highlights of having a baby. She had long been waiting for the opportunity, especially when it seemed like she wouldn't have the chance. It really was such a nice day.

The sun was shining through the tall windows, casting a light glow upon the room. Suddenly, everything turned dark. All eyes turned to the wall, gasping when the dark clouds rolled in, covering up the previously pale blue sky. The sound of a baby wailing in a corner was the only sound to be heard.

Then, CRASH. Screamed echoed around the room as all eyes then turned to the main entrance where the ballroom doors burst open.

In walked a woman wearing all black. To put it mildly, she was ugly. Stringy black hair was hidden underneath a black hat, her nose was long and pointed, crooked a bit a the end with a large mole on one side. Her face twisted into a sinister grin.

"Well, I heard now that there was a party happening!" she shrieked as she walked further into the room. "I knew that couldn't be, because I hadn't received my invitation."

The woman glanced at a lady in a bright yellow dress. The woman feinted, falling backwards to be caught by the woman behind her.

"I figured I'd just show up, because maybe it just got lost in the mail. My cottage isn't always the easiest to find,"

The queen stood, glaring at the woman who was ruining a perfectly good party.

"What is the meaning of this? Who even are you?"

"How incredibly rude of you, your majesty," the woman scoffed, setting her sights on the queen. "I was formerly known as the Queen of Eastover, but most people know me now as the--"

"Wicked Witch of Eastover," the queen finished with a gasp. She moved over, stepping between her son and this crazy woman. The witches eyes zeroed in on the small baby wrapped up in a lace, blue blanket, cradled in the arms of a nurse.

"I see my reputation precedes me," she smiled, sinking to a curtsey. She was a terrifying sight if the queen had ever seen one. Her teeth were discolored, slanted, and some were even sharp looking. Time had not been kind to this lady.

"I request that you leave at once!"

"But the party's just begun, I haven't even had any treats," she gestured lazily toward the sweets table.

"Get her out of here, guards!" the queen shouted. A few men in the royal uniform rushed towards her. The witch put her hands on her hip and glared at the queen, almost bored affect on her features. At the last second before they reached her, she put her hand up and the guards bounced back, sliding ten feet across the floor. Ladies screamed as they jumped out of the way to avoid being knocked over.

"Did you think it would be so easy to get rid of me," She sneered. "No, no. I have something to impart. How could I show up to a party without a gift for the little prince?"

"We do not want your gift," Anne kept her voice steady. She needed to pretend like this woman didn't terrify her to her core. If she showed weakness, she would become the prey. She needed to protect her son.

"That's horrible, you cannot reject a gift before it's even been given," the witch rolled her eyes, strolling toward the shaking nurse who held the baby.

"I am warning you one more time to get out of here," Anne's eyes blazed as she moved back to protect her son. She was willing to lay down her life if it spares her son.

"I will, soon as you let me see him."

"Never," Anne held out her arms, but was promptly knocked aside. The witch didn't even have to do more than shake her head to push the Queen out of her way. Magic was very useful at times.

"Now, let me see you, Prince Ashton," the witch cooed. The baby looked up at her and instantly let out an ear piercing cry. "Oh, no need for that little one. Here, I have something for you." She took a small scroll out of her robe and began reciting a little spell she prepared for him. "The day will come, little one, when none can protect you. You are not the royal heir you think yourself to be. Whoever is read the rights and doused in the ceremonial water will become the true king of Eastover, so long as he carry the blood of the Royal Lineage. 19 years later, you will meet your fate." She touched the boys forehead, and he quieted his cries. Anne sobbed as she rushed over, grabbing her baby as the witch walked away. "This won't be the last of me, Anne. I will be back before your son takes the throne. I intend to see that he doesn't,"

And with that, the witch left the room, leaving the guests in stunned silence.

***

I hate this intro, because I feel like it's really slanted and boring, but I promise it gets much better. Chapter 1 is on its way out, I hope you enjoy it!

~ashtonfortherwin