Chapter 8 - The Phone Call

~Chapter 8~

*The Phone Call*

Luke and Ashton were sitting in their room one night, like they always did.

Luke kept dodging his friends' plans because they didn't want Ashton to be there, and he couldn't leave Ashton. It was a horrible cycle, but he couldn't do much about it. He'd tried telling the boy to be more normal, there was only so much that could be done. He wasn't getting Luke's coolness by association...the only thing that might work would be a personality reconstruction, but this was meant to be a temporary thing, so he wasn't sure if such drastic measures would be necessary. He would wait for HQ to contact him and see what they thought.

Luke was just about to play another episode of his show (the only time he was truly allowed down time like this was when he was on missions and his target was also relaxing) when his phone rang and then disconnected.

"I'm going to take a shower." Luke said to Ashton. "Try not to need me,"

Ashton rolled his eyes and continued writing in his book, not looking up until after Luke had shut the door.

Luke turned on the water and sat on the closed lid of the toilet, waiting exactly 2 minutes and 27 seconds before dialing back the number and fake-sneezing twice into the phone after it had been picked up.

"Agent Alpha, how are things going?" His commander questioned, skipping the small talk. It didn't matter to Commander, she needed to know that her target and his agent were safe, top priority always.

"Everything is all right, Commander. The Doe is safe at the moment, I've received no threats or other challenges."

"Good. Anything to report?"

"No, Commander Ma'am. The Doe has moved in relatively smoothly, received a new ensemble to fit in better, and is getting his acquired grade average to seem normal."

The commander was silent on the other end.

"Tell me about normal," she drolled.

Luke swallowed harshly, not liking the casual tone she adopted.

"He's going to classes, he got a job like you suggested. He's spoken a lot with the manager at the dining hall, and--"

"You're not doing your job, Agent Alpha. You were chosen for this particular job because you are the best. Are you disappointing me?"

Luke blanched.

"No, Ma'am, Commander I'm n-not," he stuttered. He remembered what happened to the agent above him when he messed up. That's how he became the new best of the best. He shuttered before trying to excuse himself. "I'm trying to help him, but it's difficult because no one likes him. He's just so different and lame, and the kids here don't want to be around that."

"Are you quite finished?" Luke could almost feel the icy stare she'd be giving him if she was with him in person. He'd been subjected to looks like that on more than one occasion, and it was never fun. "You're the best at what you do. You're at a community college in the middle of no where. It shouldn't be this difficult for you to do what you're supposed to."

"Yes, Commander." That was the only answer he was to give her, but he wished he could explain a bit more.

She sighed heavily.

"Listen, Alpha. I know it isn't always easy. I know you didn't have the most, for lack of a better word, normal life," Luke tried to hide a scoff. He was essentially sold to the secret agency as a child to spare his fathers life. He'd never known his parents and had been trained since birth to do what he was doing. And he was good at it, and he enjoyed it. Usually. "But you're my best agent. I need you to make a bit more of an effort to help The Doe fit in a bit, all right?"

"Yes Commander. I'll renew my efforts and I won't let you down." He heard her chuckle from the other end.

"I know you won't, Agent. Aside from that, there's nothing else to report?"

"No, Commander. Everything else has been all right, everything has been quiet on the disturbance end."

"Good. Keep it that way. You're doing a fine job blending in, so all in all, keep doing what you're doing. You just need to do a little more to keep this sustainable."

"Yes, Commander."

"I'll check in sometime within the month."

"Yes, Commander. I look forward to hearing from you,"

She hung up the phone and Luke relaxed, setting the phone on the sink and resting his head in his hands.

How was he supposed to make Ashton seem more normal? Maybe he could convince the prince to invite his friend over.

Luke shucked his clothes off and got into the shower, quickly washing his hair and body before leaving and drying off. He went outside, tossing his phone on the bed and getting into a new pair of clothes. He didn't care if Ashton was looking, but when he glanced at the prince, he saw he was already sleeping.

Luke took his book out from under him so he didn't wrinkle any of the pages and set it next to him.

He sat back on his bed, brainstorming all sorts of ways he could get his friends to like being with Ashton. Maybe he could try and get him to talk like a regular person. Or maybe he could make plans with Calum and his friends, Calum already liked Ashton. It was rare to find someone who liked the brunette, so maybe he could start there.

Feeling a bit better with half a plan, Luke closed his eyes and went to sleep.

***

It's been too long since I posted. Here ya go, sorry it's short. it has been rough. hope you're all well <3

~ashtonfortherwin