Chapter 20 - The Night In

~Chapter 20~

*The Night In*

Ashton intently watched the rain splash against the window. There were two rain drops at his eye level that he was trying to race, hoping that the one he was rooting for would win. It was so close, they were both moving down the window at an even pace, the one he wanted slightly behind, but it merged with a larger drop and took the lead when--

    "Your Highness, we do need a decision from you," Archie, Ashton's head advisor he'd inherited from his father, called. "We are still discussing the invitations for the ball at the weeks end."

    Ashton snapped out of his daze, drawing his gaze from the window and instead casting it on the table of people who were staring at him with raised eyebrows and discerning frowns.

    He'd been in meetings practically since he arrived back in Eastover, and he was growing sick of it. He was sent away, made to come back, and then thrown back into his regular life without anyone even bothering to ask how he was feeling or what was going on. He knew probably most people wouldn't, but he figured the people he was closest to, maybe Archie, Mozart, or even his mum would check on him.

    Only they hadn't, and it was upsetting him quite a bit. He had no desire to do any of the things expected of him anymore. He wanted to sit on his bed under the covers until this whole thing was over and he could just be crowned king safely.

    "Your Highness, we need an answer, uhm," Archie called again, standing up when he addressed Ashton. The prince had turned around and was still staring off in the distance.

    He looked up, meeting Archie's gaze and stalked out of the room. He caught Luke's jacket and tugged him forward, Luke knew to go with his client. He wasn't quite sure what was going on, but he figured he would get to the bottom of it. And he also loved the way Ashton so casually stormed out of the meeting. It gave him great joy. Those horrible suits expected so much from Ashton, but he was still a kid. He shouldn't have so much put on him like that, they needed to know he wasn't a robot they could control. He was proud of the brunette.

    Ashton didn't say a word to Luke as he dashed down the hallway, almost making Luke jog to keep up with him. Luke recognized their path as the way back to Ashton's chamber. He would talk to him once they got there.

    The guards in front of Ashton's room bowed before opening the door, allowing the two to go inside. Ashton immediately made his way to the bed, plopping down on it face first and sighing. Luke sat down at the little table near the window, watching Ashton. Apparently Ashton didn't even notice that he'd landed in Luke's bed, not his own. Luke was now slightly concerned for the little prince. He'd been acting strange for a couple days, getting testy with his advisors, not eating all that much at meals, constantly wearing his Prince Mask (what Luke called the pretend face he made when he had to fake that nothing was wrong in front of people), and he just moped around when he was alone.

    Luke let him have a couple minutes to himself. He pulled out his laptop, crumpling another hidden note that emerged on the inside of the screen with a sigh and started playing a game so he had something to do other than stare at Ashton. He waited for the prince to sit up, sighing as he did.

    "Uh, Ash, is something wrong?" Luke cleared his throat, speaking carefully.

    Ashton shrugged.

    "I am fine, thank you." he spoke in a quiet voice.

    Luke didn't know if he should call him out or not, or if he should let it go. Clearly he was going through something, but Luke knew he couldn't keep it inside, he was clearly self-destructive and didn't know how to properly voice his feelings. Years of being taught to suppress everything in front of others had not been good for his emotions.