Chapter 28 - The Traitor

~Chapter 28~

*The Traitor*

"I just can't think of anything we should do,"

    Michael dropped his head onto the table, slamming it repeatedly while Luke tipped his chair back, watching the display unamused. It was about the fifth time it had happened that day, so he just let it happen. Michael peeked his head up moments later, glaring when Luke refused to slide a book or his hand underneath to soften the blow.

    Luke rolled his eyes.

    "I don't know what you want from me, you're the one who's known the grandson of a witch for years, you know how to get to him better than me. I've spent most of my time hating him!"

    Michael's face hardened at the mention of his ex-best friend.

    He hated that Calum had been lying to him the entire time. They'd been friends for almost 3 years, how could the person he trusted most in the world lie that much to him? They'd gone to carnivals, birthday parties, spent weeks having sleepovers at each others houses in the summer, and now Michael realized it was all fake. The time freshman year when Calum broke up with his high school girlfriend at midnight and Michael drove to his dorm with ice cream and popcorn and they stayed up all night on the couch watching his favorite movies was a lie. The time when Calum attended his aunts funeral, or all their late night McDonalds drive through "adventures"...he couldn't be sure any of that was real.

    "What if we set up a blockade?" Luke mused.

    "Like, pile a bunch of shit up against the doors so they can't get out?"

    Luke shrugged.

    "Why not? It'll keep them there until we want them out. They're the ones who are essentially prisoner in that room,"

    Michael rolled his eyes.

    "Idiot, they have magic. She'll just magic away your blockade,"

    Luke scoffed, but he knew Michael was right. He couldn't use his normal ideas to fight this witch. They'd have to do something else.

    Trouble was, he couldn't figure out what that was yet.

    "You want something to eat? I'm going to get someone to bring something for lunch," Michael muttered.

    "Do you do anything aside from eat?" Luke asked, taking a glance at his watch that proved it was only 11am.

    Michael only raised his eyebrows at him.

    "I'll have a turkey sandwich," he mumbled, looking away before he could see the self-righteous look on Michael's face.

    A few moments later there was a knock on the door. They were hiding out in Ashton's chambers, knowing most of the advisors wouldn't think to look for them there. Michael got up, happily making his way to the door. Luke was attempting to brainstorm more ideas for what to do to get rid of someone with magic when he heard Michael yell, "FUCK YOU!" and then he slammed the door. Luke got up, rushing around his makeshift bed and into the entranceway. Michael was fuming, taking deep breaths with his back against the door.

    "What's going on? Why are you so upset at the food?"

    He shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts.

    "It's him," he seethed, glaring at the door.

    Luke took a moment before realizing who he meant.

    There was a tentative knock at the door and a small voice calling for Michael.

    "Go away, we don't want anything," Luke sighed.