Chapter 31 - The Barrier

~Chapter 31~

*The Barrier*

Michael paced around the halls, hands behind his back as he thought through all the information he'd read. There must be something that was controlling the witch's power.

He'd looked in all of the books they'd gotten for hand magic or a power source, but he only found one tiny excerpt that didn't tell him anything he didn't already know. This passage was from a scientists journal as she reflected on the impact of magic on a regular individual.

"Magic has the potential to turn even the best people evil. With just a little power, comes the desire for more, until the user will do anything for the next bit of control. It is known that those who harness magic must work hard to not do evil, and almost all fail. Even just beginning training with hand magic fosters lust for more. They all search for something to hold more power so they can cast greater spells."

Luke had said on his way out that Calum wasn't good at "hand magic", which he assumed meant magic from the source inside of him. That implied that there was some outside source that the witch harnessed to do greater magic.

    The green haired boy had observed the witch a bit while Luke was on his mission with Calum and he was stuck at the castle. She always wore that stupid hat and ugly robe, but chances of her clothing being the source of her magic were slim.

    There was a commotion at the end of the hall. Michael hadn't been paying attention to where he'd been going and ended up by the throne room. He hurried over to see the witch screaming at one of the servants.

    Michael observed her as she yelled, trying not to look too closely at her gross face. There was some sort of yellowish gunk on the bottom of her lip that wobbled when her lips moved.

    He groaned as it fell off her face and onto her necklace. She glanced down, having noticed and gently reached up to brush it away. She cradled the green crystal in her hand before tucking it inside her gown.

    At the image he just saw, Michael hurried down the hall, holding his hands over his mouth. Come on Michael, pull it together. Just because you got a glimpse of saggy old lady doesn't mean your sensitive stomach needs to be a wimp, he chastised himself as he got back to the study without hurling.

    He didn't have much to go off of but he wondered if maybe that crystal had to do with it

    Michael had a secret. He loved reading. It wasn't a huge secret, but with his friends around he rarely had a book with him, and he didn't want the nerdy stereotype that came with reading. But he jumped at the chance to stay back and do research whilst Luke went on the rescue mission because he knew it meant he could read and be useful.

But his real secret was he loved romance books, specifically historical romance. He had read a lot of books about Eastover royalty; (usually fan fiction,) but he still knew a lot about the customs in the country. It was how he had impressed the queen when they'd first met, because he knew what was expected of him. He also enjoyed reading fantasy books. A lot of times, crystals came up in those books because they were able to harness larger sources of magic.

    Michael couldn't wait for Luke to come back so they could brainstorm how to get it from her. Maybe that could stop her.

***

"Are you sure you're okay, Ash?" Luke asked for probably the tenth time that hour.

    "Yes, I am sure. I said I was, I would not lie to you," he murmured, closing his eyes and leaning back against Luke. He was a bit sore, kind of tired, but otherwise he really was fine. Now that he was back in the arms of his protector, he would be okay.