Or Maybe More

Loki returned a few days later with information about why Natasha and Wanda were pregnant. It turned out that the change our bodies went through reset us so that we were in peak physical condition. Our bodies were working at the best they could be after our physical change that developed or new powers. Which meant the hormonal medication people were taking to alter things, such as fertility, or brain chemicals, were flushed from their system. So when we all slept together that night, we were at our peak fertility. I, however, had a physical barrier in place to stop any kind of implantation, and while both Wanda and Natasha didn't and got pregnant, mine just passed as normal when I got my period.

It was a little heartbreaking to hear, to be honest, but I figured it was probably for the best. It was a lot for us to be dealing with Natasha and Wanda's pregnancies. Having me pregnant too would have just complicated it more. I figured that Tony would think the same thing. After all, he was getting what he wanted in a roundabout way, and it wasn't like we couldn't do it again in the future. The main thing was getting Wanda and Natasha through this. Thor had taken Natasha to Asgard to be looked over by the healers, and while they said they believed there was no reason her pregnancy wouldn't progress as a normal healthy pregnancy, it was hard to know for sure. So until she got to the point that we knew she was going to be okay, we had to be there for her.

It turned out, I was wrong. I was getting ready for bed a few days after Loki's second visit when he appeared in the bathroom behind me.

"El," he said softly.

I spat out the toothpaste in my mouth and rinsed before turning to Tony. "What's wrong? Has something happened?"

"No," he said, shaking his head. "Uh, no. It's just... you and me... you know? And then all that stuff happened, and... well, then you never said anything."

I blinked at him and furrowed my brow, not quite sure what he was getting at. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Have you changed your mind?" He asked, taking my hand. "About the baby?"

"Nat and Wanda are pregnant," I said, slightly confused. "You said it didn't matter if it was yours biologically."

He started to pace up and down the bathroom. "No. Right. Yes. I don't. Really. I'm gonna love those kids. But... I wanted to... with you. All of it. Trying and getting the pregnancy tests and all of that."

"But..." I said, furrowing my brow. "Nat and Wanda are pregnant. There are three babies coming."

"We've brought twins into the world once already. We can handle multiple," Tony said, with that same self-assurance he was so good at faking. Only this time, it wasn't him and his false bravado. He didn't doubt for a second that four would be a big deal.

I sighed and leaned back against the vanity. "Tony, that's four infants. At least. On top of the two toddlers that we already have."

"There's -" he started counting off on his fingers. "Ten of us. We can handle a litter of kids. And... you know, we have a lot of love to give. That's why we're all together. Isn't it?"

I frowned and shook my head. "I'm not saying 'never,' but... Nat needs me. I can't take this away from her. And if we're wrong and she miscarries... how could she be excited about Wanda and me being pregnant?"

"I don't think... that's not... but..." Tony spluttered as he paced the room again.

I felt tears prick my eyes, and I wiped them away, taking a deep, steadying breath. "I know, Tony. I want to. I do. But... I can't. I can't hurt her like that."

"I'm not happy about this," Tony huffed, turning away from me. "But fine. I have to go and finalize some of Schroeder's team."

"Right now?" I asked skeptically. It was a little painful that he was just going to go off and huff because I wouldn't agree to this, and I had hoped he'd matured more than that.