Sharing the News

When I went down to dinner that night, it was with a sense of dread. I could already see how this dinner was going to play out. They would all go into 'hyper-protective' mode. I'd find out it was either Steve or Tony or both that had been stopping my family's messages from getting through. I'd end up crying. They'd say I shouldn't see them if I'm reacting like this and then I'd just go back to being stressed about whatever it was that Amanda wasn't telling me.

Bucky was already in 'hyper-protective' mode as we went down. He and Clint had stayed with me while I napped, though Clint left when the kids got home. Bucky, however, stuck to me like glue. Usually, he had a hand on me, and when we went downstairs for dinner, he sat beside me at the table, his leg pressed against mine. It was as if seeing how I had reacted to Amanda had triggered some kind of bodyguard mode in him and he wasn't willing to leave me until he was sure I was safe.

Natasha and Steve were the last ones to the table with the twins and they helped them into their chairs before taking a seat. "How was everyone's days?" Steve said as he began to load up his plate.

Wanda's eyes flicked between me and Steve and when I didn't say anything, she sighed. "I think Elly has something to share."

Steve looked up, furrowing his brow. "Good news or bad news?"

I shrugged and shoved some bread in my mouth. "Did you want me to say?" Bucky asked, and I nodded and bit into more bread.

"We took the dogs to get groomed today, and on the way, one of Elise's sisters approached us," Bucky explained.

Everyone at the table seemed to tense up at once. "What did she want?" Sam asked.

I swallowed and took a drink. "My parents sent her. They want to talk and meet the twins."

"Well, that isn't going to happen," Tony said, quickly. "I hope you told her that."

I shook my head and Tony got up out of his chair and started pacing around the table. "I'm not subjecting my kids to those monsters. I've done everything I can to make sure they didn't get any of our shit childhoods. I'm not about to just open the door and let all that in?"

Pietro looked up at Tony. "You otay, daddy?"

"Yes. No. I don't know," Tony replied.

"I didn't say 'yes' either. I said I needed to think about it," I said as Pietro held out his arms to Tony.

Tony leaned down and kissed the top of Piet's head. "Thank you, sweetie. You eat your dinner."

"What's to think about?" Sam asked. "You cut them out."

"Maybe they've changed," I said. "Amanda seemed to think so. Besides, she looked scared. Like she was worried about going back with a no."

Natasha scoffed. "Yeah, it sounds like they've changed."

"If you want to see them again, that's up to you, Elise," Steve said. "But you can't subject the kids to that."

I huffed and poked at the vegetables I'd put on my plate with a fork. "Did one of you stop me from getting any messages from them?"

Steve looked around the table and shook his head. "If that was directed at me, I promise I didn't do it. Family is tricky. I get that people want to mend fences."

I looked over at Tony. "Tony?"

"No," he said quickly.

"Tony?" I repeated.

"I didn't. I swear to god," Tony said, putting his hands up. "FRIDAY, do you know if Elise's parents have been trying to get into contact with her?"