Steve's Game

Things were relaxed for a few weeks. Natasha and Wanda's morning sickness had all but ended by the last ultrasound, so it was just me struggling in the morning and aside from the usual work things were stress-free. The major thing going on was the twins were about to start preschool and everyone was this mix of excited and panicked about it. Each of us a different blend of each.

We also couldn't quite decide who of us should take them and pick them up on their first day. We would all agree to everyone going because we were all their parents and people should know that. Then someone would start worrying about them being teased or bullied about it and so we'd agree that it would just be the same two or four of us doing the pickups and drop-offs. Or it would be some in-between to that, five for drop off, five for pick up. Which of us should go would change when it wasn't all of us at once. Sometimes we'd think it would be best if it was the biological parents because then it would be easier for people to accept. Other times we thought it best if it wasn't because they were our kids and biology didn't matter. We thought Steve should be there because he was the one we all turned to for the big decision making. Then we thought he absolutely shouldn't because of the attention he'd attract. Natasha was adamant that she go so she could cloak them on drop off and pick up.

Eventually, we decided that the first day was important. There were teachers to meet and while the class might be full with all ten of us walking around in it, they'd have to deal with it because we ten people were those two kids' parents and this was an important first for them. None of us wanted to miss it.

"Alright, my little ones," Natasha said. It was the night before their first day of preschool and we'd been playing Candy Land with them in teams as we all sat by the large window that looked out over midtown. It was getting late for the kids and they were going to have a big day tomorrow. "You both start school tomorrow, so you need to go and get ready for bed. Who do you want to give you your bath?"

They looked at each other and scrunched up their noses. "Ummm... Daj?" Pietro said.

"Yeah, Daj," Riley agreed. "You do da bubbews, Daj?"

Wanda laughed softly. "Yeah, I can do the bubbles."

"And who should read you your stories?" Natasha asked.

"Umm..." Pietro said again, looking at Riley. "I wand... daddy Bwuce."

"How about, daddy Steeb?" Riley suggested.

Pietro whined and stuck out his bottom lip. "Daddy Steeb don do da voices."

"Damn, Daddy Steve," Tony teased. "What kind of second-rate act are you running?"

"I'm so sorry," Steve laughed. "I'll try harder from now on."

"What if I read one and then Daddy Steve reads one?" Bruce suggested. "As a special treat?"

"Yeah!" Pietro said, bouncing in his seat.

"Alright then, come on monsters," Wanda said, getting up. "Let's go have a bath."

They chased after her and I started packing up the board game.

"Can't believe they're starting school," Sam said. "Gonna have to put bricks on their heads to stop them from growing."

"Aww, no," Clint said. "It's cool seeing them become little people."

"And we shall have four new little ones soon enough," Thor added.

"We're going to be drowning in dirty diapers," Bucky said. "We'll be thanking the universe they're out of diapers."

"I'm already thanking it for that," Tony joked.