9

The middle of the week came by so fast. It was almost game day out of town. I was excited to finally get time away from this place. My job and my parents have been stressing me out lately. I know this isn't a vacation because Harry won't let it be one, but I'll make it one myself.

Speaking of Harry, he had been following through with what we spoke about. He had been completely professional around me. Too professional, it was annoying. Not even a smile or anything. He went back to keeping to himself.

It was almost time for practice and I was running late. The halls were still a bit crowded and it was hard to rush by. A boy walks out from the attached hall with his head down, concentrating on some papers. Before I could slow my pace, I bump into him and we both end up on the ground. Papers were flying all around us.

I gasp, trying to collect everything I could. "I am so sorry. I tried to stop, but-"

"It's fine, you're fine." he says politely, squinting his eyes and looks around. I spot his glasses next to his foot and hand them to him. "Thank you," he puts them on then looks at me. "H-hi," his voice is shaky. "I'm W-"

"Nice going, Wilfred." Colton laughs, stepping on his papers. "You just always have to get in the way."

"So-sorry, I'm so sorry." he apologizes to me.

"No, I'm the one who's sorry. I shouldn't have been running." I pat his shoulder. "Colton get out of here." I swat at his legs. "It's 2016, why be a bully?"

"I'm not,"

"Then get off his papers and leave him alone." I say, grabbing the paper from under his foot and it rips. "Wilfred, I'm so sorry."

"Nice going, Rylee." Colton laughs out then walks away.

"It's ok," he says lowly. "I can always print another one."

I look at the ripped picture. It was a photograph of a field with a girl in it. "This looks amazing where is this."

"My backyard." he smiles then shakes his head. "And that's my mom."

I look at it in complete shock because this does not look like someones backyard.

"You have great skills." I compliment him then look at all the other ones. "All of these are great."

"Thank you," he blushes. "I can show you more if you want."

"Oh I can't," I look at the time. "Shit, I really can't. I'm going to be late and coach will have my ass." I say, quickly helping him gather everything. "Maybe another time?"

"Oh no, it's ok." he shakes his head. "I know you probably don't want to be seen with me and that's ok."

"What? No? I just-"

"No really, it's fine. High school is almost over. I did all last year with no friends and that was fine." he assures me.

"Wait, you had no friends last year?"

"I was new last year and didn't really open up to anyone." he explains. "Who needs friends in this place anyways? We'll all forget about each other after we leave."

"Exactly," I nod. He was right and I basically told Harry the same thing. After we leave this place, the people here won't matter anymore. "But also, you need friends to survive this place and have back up when someone like Colton comes around."

"He's been on me since I came."

"Same here, but I learned to tune him out." I joke and he laughs. "I'll be your friend Wilfred."

"Oh please, call me Will." he shakes his head with embarrassment. "I hate the name Wilfred."

"Ok, Will." I nod with a smile. We make it to the gym and I turn to him. I grab the pen he was holding and ask for a piece of paper and he hands me the one I tore. "I have to head to practice, but call me whenever you want." I say, writing down my number.

With that, we said our goodbye and I walk through the doors. I spot Brennen heading out of the locker room.

"Hey," he greets me.

"Hi." I simply say, passing him to the girls locker room.

"Wait." he stops me.

"Brennen, I really have to change for practice." I tell him. "I'm super late."

"I just want to know the status on that date of ours."

I sigh, shaking my head. "To be honest Brennen, I went through so much with my last relationship. I've been going through so much recently with someone else. I just don't have the energy for this."

"There was someone else, recently?"

"Yes, but that's over now-"

"So that's why you've been pushing me away."

"What? I mean-" I think about it and nod. "Yeah I guess. I had expected more from this guy-"

"He disappointed you," Brennen smiles. "Rylee, I won't disappoint you like him, I promise."

"Eversteen, practice is starting." Harry walks out of his office. "Why aren't you dressed?"

"I was going now."

"How about you don't." he says and I frown. "You'll keep us behind waiting for you. Just sit and watch and you'll make it up after."

"Coach Styles, this was my fault." Brennen tries defending me.

"Was I talking to you?" Harry snaps at him. "I was talking to my player. I think you should go."

"Coach," I scoff as Brennen leaves with an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, I'll get ready now."

"No, you rather socialize during my practice time, so I'll take some of that time back from you."

"But-"

"Stop arguing with me and get your ass in the gym."

I roll my eyes and take the lead to the gym. Monique gives me a questioning look and I just shake my head.

Harry goes through with practice and acts like I'm not even there. I go through my phone and get a text from Will. We talk the entire time until my phone was taken from my hands.

"No phones during practice." Harry tells me, stuffing my phone in his pocket.

"I'm not even practicing."

"You will be." he says. "Go get ready."

Once again, I roll my eyes at his behavior and do as he says.

__________

short one for yall.

questions for the people who don't like the concept of this book.

if you don't like the idea of this story then why are you reading it? the beginning of the book was very clear about the concept of the story.

also, how did you read this far into the book if you didn't like the relationship between the two main characters?

it discourages me from continuing this book. i'll just write another one and end this. lmk because i don't mind focusing on another one of my books. 12.24.07 or Natural Disaster?