4

"Am I imagining this?" Coach walks up to the gym door I've been waiting by for the past thirty minutes. "Because the Rylee Eversteen I've gotten to know this past month has always been late or close to it." he says, pulling his keys out.

I let out a sarcastic laugh and roll my eyes. "My brother had to go in to work earlier than usual."

"I told you to let me know if you needed a ride, so you didn't have to wait out in the cold." he leads the way into the slightly cold gym. I just stay quiet, shrugging even though he couldn't see me. "Well, are you ready for today's workout?" he changes the subject. He stops by his office door and waits for me to walk passed him. I turn to him and frown a little.

"Someone seems to be in a good mood, so I think I am."

"Just because I'm in a good mood, doesn't mean I'll go easy on you girls today." he says with a smile still on his face.

"I think this is the longest I've seen you smile."

"My wife is out of town." he reminds me then lifts his shoulders a bit. "She tries to call then I just hit ignore. Best invention ever."

"If you can be this happy when your wife isn't around, why stay with her?" I ask and his face drops. "I mean- I'm just saying,"

"You don't know what marriage is like. There are just some times you need away from your spouse." he says sternly. "Ever since we moved here, we've been in each other's hair and- and I don't have to explain myself to you," he stops himself from a rant.

"Sorry."

"Don't apologize." he groans in annoyance. "Just go get dressed and prepare yourself for a hard workout."

I nod, awkwardly walking away from the tense moment. I think I just turned his happy mood upside down.

"Coach was tough today." Monique says as we walk down the hall. "I wanted to go off campus for lunch, but I'm too tired to."

"We still have practice." I remind her and she whines.

"Coach Gregory was not this tough."

"That's because he had his players sucking him off in the school parking lot." Kourtney appears next to us and we laugh. "I wonder who it was."

We stop at my locker and they continue discussing the scandal.

"I bet it was Leslie." Monique makes her input, nodding in the direction of the Leslie at her locker. "That bitch will do anything to be captain."

"Yeah, probably her and her little sidekick, Abby." Kourtney comments.

"Hey, Abby is actually cool." I defend.

Kourtney gasps with a teasing smile. "Maybe it was you, Rylee." she jokes. "It makes sense. A quiet girl who's secretly a freak."

"I'm not a freak and I didn't suck anybody's dick." I turn to the two staring me down. "I did not suck his dick!" I tell them and right then, Coach Styles walks passed.

The two notice and start bursting with laughter. I can feel my face turning red as I see him continue his path, acknowledging Leslie and Abby. They engage in a conversation and the three of them look our way. My eyes connect with coach's for a moment and I can feel flutters. Next thing, they walk toward us and I try to hide behind Monique.