2

"Count louder," Coach raises his voice and we follow his demand as we did squats. "Alright, split up into your teams from yesterday and get ready for a scrimmage."

"Coach seems a little hostile today." Monique mumbles to me before going to her spot behind me. "His wife needs to do a better job of relieving him."

I look at her over my shoulder and giggle at her joke. "That's gross, Mo." I comment and just laughs.

"Ladies," Coach's voice booms. "Would you like to share what you're laughing about?"

"No sir," Monique responds then looks at me. "Damn, guess I was right." she says only for me to hear.

"You need to stop." I laugh out.

"Eversteen!" he calls me. "Step aside."

"But I-"

"I said step aside." he says sternly.

"Coach, it was m-"

"Kenneth, I wasn't talking to you." he interrupts her. "Step aside now or every second you waste will add five miles after practice." he says, looking down at his watch. "Oh look, we're at 10 miles."

I roll my eyes and step off the court. I stand quite a distance from him as he starts the scrimmage. I glare at him the entire time with my arms crossed until he looks my way. My body begins to tense up as he makes his way over to me.

"Are you seriously going to make me run ten miles?"

"When am I not serious?" he raises an eyebrow. "This time you're not getting off easy. My wife is out of town so I have all the time." he flashes a smug smile before turning away.

"Monique was right." I mumble to myself and he turns around questioning me. "Nothing."

I sit on the bleachers and watch the girls play. That was until coach forces me to stand. I groan in annoyance with my arms still crossed.

"Stop your pouting." he says lowly, glancing down at me then raises his voice at the girls. "Pouting won't make those miles go down."

"Whatever."

"What's with the attitude?"

"Oh, maybe because I have to run ten miles because I was laughing and my coach is a boring ass who doesn't let us have one bit of fun." I trail off without realizing it. Once I do, I gasp and look at him. He had a smirk on his face which was just confusing. "S-sorry, I didn't mean-"

"No, that's fine." he keeps his smirk and nods as he looks back at the girls on the court.

He stays quiet for the rest of practice and I wasn't sure how things were after I called him an ass right to his face. The girls went to the locker room and started heading out while I stayed behind to do stretches. After it was clear, coach and I stay in the gym because it was too cold to run on the track. He sits on the bleachers and leans back.

"You're not running with me this time?"

"Nope." he shakes his head then gestures for me to begin. "I have all the time, but I'd rather not waste it here. Now start running."

A while passes and it felt like I've been running longer than what I was supposed to. I look over to see Coach's head down, so I slow down as I get to him and there was a faint snore.

"Coach?" I say, poking his shoulder. "Coach." I repeat after no response.

"Huh, what?" he jumps suddenly then looks up. "Eversteen, are you done?" he asks and I nod even though I didn't know. "Well, get your stuff and lets go."

I do as he says and race to the locker rooms. I quickly grab my things and head out to see him ready to go, standing by his office door with his eyes glued onto his phone. I stand across from him, leaning back against the wall. His head shoots up and he sighs.

"Something important?" I ask, nodding at his phone.

"More like someone frustrating." he says lowly before leading the way out.

Rain poured down hard and it was dark out. The car ride was quiet between us. The rain slowly came to a stop as we got closer to my house. Once we make it to my house, both my parents and brother's car were gone. The light in the living room was on, so someone had to be home.

Coach grabs my bags from the back. I thank him one last time about to leave, but I see my mom coming out of the house with an umbrella even though the rain had died down a bit by now. My eyes widen at what I'm assuming will happen. I get out of the car and catch her before she went to the car.

"Mom, what are you doing?" I question and she giggles.

"I just want to say hello to your new coach." she says, waving. I turn around, looking back to see him waving back. "Move aside, sweetie."

I groan, letting her pass by. I turn around to see him roll down the window and greets my mom. Suddenly, a strong state of dizziness washes over me. I had seen this happen before. I frown at the two chatting and make my way over; still feeling dizzy.

"Hello ma'am." he says and she laughs.

"Oh don't call me that, it makes me feel old." she tells him and I mentally curse at the embarrassment. "Call me Georgie."

"Okay Georgie, nice to meet you."

Every words is so familiar. I feel like I'm losing my mind hearing their voices.

"Sweetie, are you okay?" my mom gently puts her hand on my shoulder to shake me out of my thoughts.

I slowly look at her with my frown still on my face and nod. Then my eyes divert to over the car. Coach was getting out of the car and I shake my head.

"What's going on?"

"He's going to eat dinner with us. You were standing right there while we were talking." she points out. "Are you sure you're okay, Rylee?"

My eyes meet Coach's curious ones. He was waiting for an answer like my mom.

"Uh yeah, sorry." I apologize for my behavior as I followed behind them. "I'm just a bit tired."

The two just continued to have a conversation on the way in.

What is happening right now?