CHAPTER FOURTEEN

𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒔

𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒔

On a bright and sunny morning, Buffy, Willow and I walk down the crowded hallways of Sunnydale High. Buffy had just finished telling us about her dad, who she learned was going to come visit her tomorrow.

"So, do you see your dad a lot?" Willow asks.

Buffy shakes her head. "Not a whole lot. He's still in L.A. He, like, comes down for weekends sometimes."

"When did they get divorced?" I questioned. I didn't mean to pry into Buffy's business, but I couldn't help but wonder.

"Well, it wasn't finalized till last year, but they were separated before that," Buffy replied.

Willow gives her a sympathetic frown. "Musta been harsh."

We reach Buffy's locker, and I lean against the one beside hers. "Yeah, that's the word you're looking for." Buffy fumbles with the combination. "I—I mean, they were really good about it around me, anyway, but still..."

"My parents don't even bicker," the redhead admits. "Sometimes they glare. Do you know why your folks split up?"

Buffy finally manages to open her locker. She looked to be effected by the constant questions, but I didn't point it out. "I didn't ask. They just stopped getting along. I'm sure I was a really big help, though, with all the slaying and everything. I was in so much trouble. I was a big mess."

Willow attempts to smile. "Well, I'm sure that didn't have anything to do with him leaving."

"No," she sighs. She closes her locker.

"And he still comes down on weekends," she points out.

Buffy nods, glancing between the two of us. "Sometimes."

I'm the first one to walk into class, desperate to escape the conversation about Buffy's dad. Hearing about other people's family situations made me sad, and somewhat jealous. Despite everything, Buffy still had the opportunity to see her dad. I didn't.

Xander gives me a sympathetic smile from where he is currently standing, looking out of the window at the courtyard below. "Everything okay?" he asks softly.

I nod. "Yeah. I'm good."

He places a comforting hand on my arm. I  turn my head to see Cordelia sitting at her desk, checking her makeup in her small compact mirror. Wendell comes over and stands beside us. He holds his paper up in the bright sunlight and examines it. Wendell was a little odd, but he had a heart of pure gold. I knew why him and Xander were good friends.