CHAPTER ONE

𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒆𝒓

𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒆𝒓

This vampire was quick.

He practically sailed over the fences that separated one home from another as I chased him. I still pushed forward, despite the way my lungs were gasping for air.

The creature jumped over the last fence but I was fast enough to tackle him. He sprawled onto the ground and stared at me with hungry yellow eyes that were also wide with surprise.

He was most likely shocked about me being a girl. One thing I'll always say is to never underestimate a woman's power.

The vampire tried to throw a punch, but I was prepared, bringing out a dagger from my boot that was arm's length. My father had lost his life to a vampire, and I had vowed since that day to try my hardest to keep the town of Sunnydale safe.

My father was what someone would call a nut-job—he believed in the supernatural, even though he had never encountered it firsthand. He trained my older brother, Greyson, and me to fight against the forces of the undead when I was a small child, up until the age of twelve when I lost him to the one thing I was taught to kill.

The thought of driving my father's prized dagger through his chest still haunts me to this day. I can't go a single moment without thinking about it.

The vampire grazed a clawed hand against my cheek and I gasped, brought back to reality, feeling a burning sensation as blood dripped from the deep scratch.

The blood sent him into a frenzy because he struggled and hissed as the crimson droplets pelted his skin. I used all my strength to hold down the vampire, even as his fangs snapped dangerously close to my arm. I flipped the dagger in my hand, and drove it deep into its chest. The vampire let out a final breath before turning into blood-scented ash.

As quickly as it was there, it was gone.

Suddenly, a porch light turned on. I stood up, ripped the dagger out of the dirt, and ran to a spot of my neighbor's backyard where I was shrouded in darkness, hoping that I was hidden from view.

"Hello?" The person called from their porch. I recognized the voice as one of my neighbors, Mrs. Duncan. She was elderly and always happened to have a sour attitude. I stayed hidden until I heard her mutter a curse and slam the door shut.

I let out a sigh and stared up at the sky. It was about to be light soon.

Tucking my dagger into my boot, I headed for home. My fingers traced the area the vampire had clawed me and I frowned, knowing it would be a permanent scar.

When I wake up tomorrow morning, my mom will probably bombard me with questions about why I didn't get any sleep. There's no point in her asking questions, she already knew the answer.

Once I was inside my home I began tiptoeing up the wooden staircase to my bedroom, but I'm paralyzed when my mom's stern voice fills my ears.

"Kathryn Marie Melville." I can't help but wince at the mention of my full name and turn to face her. "It's one A.M. Why were you out so late?"

I don't have to answer. She already knows why I was out so late. I was familiar with this conversation. She had the same one with my dad nearly every night, and it would often turn into a full-blown argument.

Her voice is soft as she continues. She steps closer to me, and she rubs my hair. "Every single night I worry about you. I know you're out there, fighting, close to death nearly every time you encounter one of those creatures. I just want you to be safe. I don't want you to be like your father."

I clench my jaw at her words. "I know. I am safe. Trust me." I step back a little, shrugging my leather jacket off of my shoulders. My mom takes it from my hands and hangs it up on the nearby coat rack. I stare at the black material. The jacket was once my dad's, and I wear it to remind me of him. "Goodnight, mom."

Her voice sounds faraway, as if she had already started to retreat down the hall to her bedroom. "Goodnight."

I make my way upstairs without another word, and as soon as I'm curled up under my duvet, I stare at the ceiling. I don't go to sleep until daybreak.