CHAPTER FIFTEEN

𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒔  ;𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐

𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒔 ;𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐

After talking to Giles and my friends, I decided to look for Buffy. I find her sitting on a bench outside, all alone. Soft sobs escape her lips, and I walk forward at a slow pace, hoping that I wasn't disturbing her.

"Buffy?" I asked softly. "Are you okay?"

She quickly wipes her eyes at the sound of my voice, clearing her throat. "Yeah. I'm fine."

I sit down beside her, and she doesn't meet my concerned gaze. I can tell that her eyes are swollen and red. "Giles told me that your dad came to see you."

Buffy sighed, nodding her head. "He did."

"Did something happen?" I didn't want to upset her by asking all of these questions, but I just wanted to know that she was okay. I hoped that she knew what was going on.

She doesn't even bother to wipe away her tears now. They stream down her cheeks, and she chews on her bottom lip, struggling to form the right words. I'm patient, knowing that she was hurt. I wanted to know why. "Um...he said he needed to talk to me, and that he needed to tell me the truth about why he and my mom split up."

She sucks in a deep breath, and I nod, waiting for her to continue. "And, and he said that the reason why they split up was because of me. He said that I was a troublemaker. An embarrassment. He—he told me that he couldn't live with me, that I was so rude and not as bright as he expected me to be." Her voice lowers to a whisper. "Why would he say that?"

My heart shatters at her revelation. "I don't know. I'm so sorry, Buff." I wrap an arm around her shoulder and she leans into me. I allow her to let her emotions out, her entire body shaking as she cries.

When Buffy has no tears left, she slowly climbs to her feet, hurriedly wiping at her eyes. "Thanks, Katy."

I smiled. "No problem." I knew what she was going through, at least somewhat. Before my father's death, I was to blame for my parents' constant fights. My mom resented my dad for teaching me my dangerous lifestyle and resented me for risking my life just to slay the hellish creatures. We grew closer after his death, but the hole he left in our lives has never fully healed.

Buffy and I walk together, and I stuff my hands in my pockets. "So, I'm guessing Giles told you about Billy?" she asked.

I nodded. "The only question is, how do we stop this?"

"Honestly, I have no idea," she says, shrugging her shoulders. "I'm hoping that he's gathered some info. If not, I'm just gonna wing it."

I grin at her words. "That's the Buffy I know."

She stops suddenly, looking across the courtyard.

I shake her arm. "What is it, Buffy?" She doesn't respond to my question, so I follow her gaze to see a slew of students exiting the gym. A boy stands outside of the entrance, looking around. Then, when every student had exited, he slipped into the gym doors.