CHAPTER FIVE

𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒄𝒉

𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒄𝒉

Buffy, Willow, Xander, and I walked into the gym, where cheerleading tryouts were taking place.

"Giles didn't approve, huh?" Willow asks the blonde, referring to the meltdown he had when Buffy told him she wanted to try out.

She nodded. "He lost his water. We haven't seen a vampire in over a week. I'd say he should get a girlfriend if he wasn't so old."

"Well, we're behind you," Willow tells her with support.

Xander spoke up. "People scoff at things like school spirit, but look at these girls giving their all like this." He eyes Amber, who was doing her warm-ups with a chair holding up her legs. "Ooh, stretchy. I bet you'd look great in one of those, Katy."

"And why would you say that?"

"Look at you. You've got that whole bad girl look going on, and you'd be even prettier in—" I raise an eyebrow and Xander shakes his head, flustered. "Where was I?"

Willow smiles at him. "You were pretending that seeing scantily clad girls in revealing postures was a spiritual experience. Oh, and you were stating that Katy would look hot in a cheerleading outfit."

"Right. But, who said I was pretending?" We walk over to Buffy, who had moved ahead of us while we were speaking to Xander. The moron digs in his shirt pocket, holding up a bracelet. He gives it to her. "Oh, hey. Here's a good-luck thing for tryouts."

Buffy eyes the bracelet in her hand. "What's this? Well, how sweet." She reads the engraving. "Yours Always?"

"It came that way, really," Xander stammers. "They all said that." I couldn't ignore the slight jealousy churning in the pits of my stomach. Ever since I saved his life, something inside me felt off. I knew he had a hopeless crush on Buffy, but it was only because she was the new girl, a shiny new toy.

Cordelia scoffs, standing beside Buffy. "Just look at that Amber. Who does she think she is, a Laker girl?"

I smirk.  "From what I've heard, she turned them down." Willow smiles, knowing how much I love to annoy Cordelia.

The cheerleading captain, Gretchen Pierce, announces that Amber Grove is the first in line to audition. Gretchen looks at the crowd with an enthusiastic smile. Her short sandy-blonde hair had been pulled back into a high ponytail and she had styled her bangs perfectly. She wore a Sunnydale cheerleading uniform, complete with a matching varsity jacket that had her name embroidered on the back. Despite Gretchen being one of the most popular girls in school besides Cordelia, I had always thought she was very sweet. I had only spoken to her once or twice in History class, the topic of conversation always being her giving me compliments.

I can't help but notice that Buffy is seeming to be ogling the cheerleading captain with wide eyes. Gretchen notices Buffy staring, and her lips curl into a beaming smile. She gives Buffy a small wave, and Buffy's cheeks turn scarlet. I couldn't tell if my blonde friend was blushing from nervousness, or if she thought Gretchen was pretty.