CHAPTER TEN

𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒍

𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒍

The Bronze is pulsing with life. Xander walks in before me, pushing past people dancing with one another. Many scowl at him, most likely angry that he's interrupting their fun, but some ignore him. I follow close behind, not wanting to get lost in the swarm. A girl screams from nearby. They just fumigated the place, so I knew there had to be all sorts of bugs scattering about.

Xander stops in the middle of the dance floor and proceeds to make a fool of himself. His dance moves were not even close to subpar, but I move along with him. He spins me around, laughter spilling from me when I almost topple over. He catches me and pulls me close, and I'm lost in his eyes as the band onstage sings some forgotten love song.

A girl bumps into me, and I turn my head, scowling. I recognize her from the English class. Xander smiles at her. "Hey, Annie!" He then spots her boyfriend and gulps. "Dino, just leaving!"

He takes my hand, and we back away. He collides with a certain someone that causes me to roll my eyes.

"Ouch! Please get your extreme oafishness off my two hundred dollar shoes!" Cordelia's shrill voice rings in my ears.

Xander is quick to apologize. "I'm sorry, I was just..."

"Getting off the dance floor before Annie Vega's boyfriend squashes you like a bug?"

I cut in. "More like we're trying our hardest to get away from the most disgusting insect of all." I give her a pointed look.

Cordelia crosses her arms over her chest. "Uh-huh."

Xander nods. "Yeah, thanks for being so understanding."

"It's a bad infestation, you know." I smile at her.

"Sure." She crinkles her nose at me, narrowing her eyes.

Xander must have noticed her glare towards me because he doesn't hold back. "Hey, I don't know what everyone's talking about. That outfit doesn't make you look like a hooker!"

She scowls, and we leave the dance floor, hand in hand, laughing at his statement. I spot Buffy and Willow and tell him where their table is. He nods, and we walk over to them.

Their conversation is stopped short when Xander speaks up. "Boy, that Cordelia is a regular breath of vile air. What are you vixens up to?"

Willow rests her chin on her palm. "Just sitting here, watching our barren lives pass us by." She sees a roach out of her peripheral. "Oh, look, a cockroach." She stomps it quickly, the bug's exoskeleton making a sickening crunch under her shoe.